Golf clubs for beginners

alblue said:
Can anybody recommend which clubs a learner would be beat to get. Debating getting into golf but no idea where to start

you need a cast club with a big ish sole. there is plenty of new cheap stuff on the market, but in truth your probably better with a second hand set if there only slightly used. my advice is go to your nearest golf course and ask the professional what they have in and then get back on here before you take the plunge.

god be with you.

Go for a good set of used clubs (TaylorMade, Mizuno, Ping, in my order of preference) or unless you can afford buy them new then go whole hog including buying a Scotty Cameron putter.

You will be surprised at the deal and mint shape of 2 or 3 year models on the used market. Remember if you are starting out its better to have good quality used clubs rather than new clubs of dubious brands with inconsistent specs or quality.

A hybrid iron or two is recommended if you find you have problems with your long irons to augment your set of game improvement or super game improvement irons.

Your focus should be primarily on learning and improving your golf game.

Re: Re: Golf clubs for beginners

PhuketBlue said:
alblue said:
Could do couple hundred probably

I would guess at that price you'd be looking at 2nd hand, or clearance models.

Petty you couldn't stretch a bit further or maybe save up?

For £399 I've purchased a full set of brand new wilson's + a bag.

driver - hybrid
3 wood - hybrid
3 wood - also hybrid but different head size
4 wood - hybrid
5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 irons
Pitching and sand wedges
Putter

Probably best to ignore my contribution because I'm also a novice .

I've also heard that TaylorMade is very good for starters.

Someone on here will now proceed to tell me that Wilson is a dodgy brand.

Mikem93 said:
I got a set for about £100 a few yeas back from the pro shop at the club I was a member of. try looking around different places instead of just american golf like a lot of people do. If your just starting out as well don't be obsessed about the make or brand either

Phew - glad you mentioned American Golf.

Thats where I went and after hitting and missing a couple of balls we agreed that wilson would be ok for a novice.

I've had a couple of lessons with a professional and they do seem ok and my swing is getting better. :)<br /><br />-- Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:19 pm --<br /><br />
PhuketBlue said:

Wilson had a few dodgy years but have come out with some great sticks recently. I love the FG 59s.

They seem ok for someone like me who is learning.

When I get round to it, my next step will be this place / membership: -

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ashtonleagolfclub.co.uk/4-membership.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ashtonleagolfclub.co.uk/4-membership.htm</a>

I loved my first set I like a light club nothing too heavy as when I play I normaly play without a glove as I feel I have a better feel and touch of the ball.

I used to play with McGregor Graphite Irons and Drivers and they were the best set of clubs I have ever had. Was gutted that the golf shop I went to get the heads tighten and some clubs regriped lost 4 clubs done my fucking head in. I got a free set of clubs from them but they only did steel but I could never get to grips with them. So now I use a mixed set but havnt played in about 16 months.

Oversized heads and most golf shops will have a pratice area so get a couple of clubs and see which one feels right for you. Dont tell them how much your willing to pay and make sure they throw in a couple of extras shoes , golf cart and rain gear get the best deal you can most places will have stock they are trying to get rid and if you get a few things thrown in it is better than nothing.

driving range,hire a set of clubs,blast away.many people overspend when starting out,only to find that golf is not for them,even if you enjoy it the chances are it will take a while before the need for expensive gear is a factor in your scores.

make sure you get progressive cavity back clubs mate and get a medium flex shaft...this is basic set up for beginners....stay away from blade type clubs and carbon shafts for the time being

i have a my old full set of cavity backs here with a golf bag if you want to make a cheap start, was going to save them for my lad

if you want to experience on course play, then get off to castle hawk at middleton....£8 a round, they have a 9 hole long course or a 18 hole par 3 short course....no special clothes or shoes needed and everyone else is just as crap, so no worries about looking a tart when you slice it ;)

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

try something that you wont bore everyone shitless with in the pub.....like following a football club, perhaps!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.