Golf Thread

Sun out and a new golf season, I hope everyone has been out last week. I am just in my 2nd season at the club and really getting into golf with mates - have played in winter to try and improve. The goal this year is to break 80 (sitting in the 84/85s reg scores) but feel I can get closer to 80 - going to focus on the putting and short game, especially chipping from 50 yards - any other tips to break 80?

Sun out and a new golf season, I hope everyone has been out last week. I am just in my 2nd season at the club and really getting into golf with mates - have played in winter to try and improve. The goal this year is to break 80 (sitting in the 84/85s reg scores) but feel I can get closer to 80 - going to focus on the putting and short game, especially chipping from 50 yards - any other tips to break 80?
Wouldn't presume to tell someone how to break 80, it sounds like we are not too dissimilar and I break 80 occasionally but probably largely due to playing a lot and occasionally getting it right rather than any great insights.
In general in golf the stats appear to show that to make big improvements lie in the long game but shaving a few strokes with better piching putting and tactics is certainly worthwhile.

Captains Drive off this morning, starting the new season. There is also a trick shot player doing a exhibition which I might go and watch .

From a greenkeepers point of view I use to hate these dry sunny spring days with cold nights !

Yes its lovely but the greens wont be growing yet and the winter damage is still on the greens.
So any spring maintenance like hollow coring and top dressing takes longer to recover.
It's the soil temperature that's important to us once it's around 10c the grass will start to recover. But with cold nights and still getting frosts it will keep the temperature down.

We would be put under pressure from the greens committee or head of greens, who knowledge of greens was sod all ! To irrigate the greens lol.
You had to explain that dry greens are better than irrigation ones. That was always might with "Why ?"
Best why I found to explain was " if you are cold but warm up abit in the sun than I poor cold water over you are you going to be warmer or colder ?" "Colder". " So why do you want me to do that to the greens ?" " we need to soil to warm up so the turf will start growing yet you want me to slow it down my irritating with cold water".

Greens can be very bumpy this time of year due to the different grow speed of the plants within the sward. Plus the damage do to greens by playing them in the winter when the course should have been closed.

So many golfers will watch The Masters a course that is closed for six months of the year and members can only play 3 or 4 times a year. Plus a maintenance budget of millions, high number of greenkeepers. Moan that their course which is played day in day in all types of weather with a very small maintenance budget and if lucky about 6 greenkeepers doesnt look like The Masters lol.

So please be patient it's still very early for good greens at most members clubs.

From a greenkeepers point of view I use to hate these dry sunny spring days with cold nights !

Yes its lovely but the greens wont be growing yet and the winter damage is still on the greens.
So any spring maintenance like hollow coring and top dressing takes longer to recover.
It's the soil temperature that's important to us once it's around 10c the grass will start to recover. But with cold nights and still getting frosts it will keep the temperature down.

We would be put under pressure from the greens committee or head of greens, who knowledge of greens was sod all ! To irrigate the greens lol.
You had to explain that dry greens are better than irrigation ones. That was always might with "Why ?"
Best why I found to explain was " if you are cold but warm up abit in the sun than I poor cold water over you are you going to be warmer or colder ?" "Colder". " So why do you want me to do that to the greens ?" " we need to soil to warm up so the turf will start growing yet you want me to slow it down my irritating with cold water".

Greens can be very bumpy this time of year due to the different grow speed of the plants within the sward. Plus the damage do to greens by playing them in the winter when the close should have been closed.

So many golfers will watch The Masters a course that is closed for six months of the year and members can only play 3 or 4 times a year. Plus a maintenance budget of millions, high number of greenkeepers. Moan that their course which is played day in day in all types of weather with a very small maintenance budget and if lucky about 6 greenkeepers doesnt look like The Masters lol.

So please be patient it's still very early for good greens at most members clubs.
Yea spot on . I’m at Romiley and the course & greens are in great condition. Played off mats all winter and was due to cease this weekend but I got a email says the head green keeper wants to stay on mats for a week or 2 because it’s still to cold in the evening and lack of growth. I hate mats but it’s worth it in the long run

Yea spot on . I’m at Romiley and the course & greens are in great condition. Played off mats all winter and was due to cease this weekend but I got a email says the head green keeper wants to stay on mats for a week or 2 because it’s still to cold in the evening and lack of growth. I hate mats but it’s worth it in the long run

Nice to know the club support the head greenkeeper.

I was forced into using tees and greens all winter and not to close the course. I kicked up a stink after golfers were scrapping the snow of some greens. A few weeks later after 22 years at the club I was made redundant lol

Nice to know the club support the head greenkeeper.
They used to have a greens chairman but he resigned last year now they have give Carte Blance to the Head Greenkeeeper. It seems to be paying off , I’ve only just joined but members who have been there for years say the greens are superb, the best they seen . I’m sure they will still find summat to moan about soon though . One of my bugbears members moaning

They used to have a greens chairman but he resigned last year now they have give Carte Blance to the Head Greenkeeeper. It seems to be paying off , I’ve only just joined but members who have been there for years say the greens are superb, the best they seen . I’m sure they will still find summat to moan about soon though . One of my bugbears members moaning

Funny isnt in golf clubs how experience well qualified head greenkeepers like me have to take orders from some bloke with no knowledge of greenkeeping. Bizarre we are managing a course perhaps worth millions on the open market yet they trust that to one unqualified member.

I dipped my finger back into being a head greenkeeper again after a 5 year break but quit again after about 2 years and havent been interested for years now and have no desire to go back. 30 odd years was enough for me from the age of 20 !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.