Golf Thread

Playing in next round of my club knockout later. I'm off 22 and he's off 3. Should be fun

I always felt sorry the the lower handycappers.
As the 'hackers' would always be moaning the fairways are cut to short, rough to long, greens to firm and fast, bunkers are to deep with the wrong sand.

Thing is the fairway should be short so you can make good contact and put on back spin which than stops the ball on good firm fast greens. Any one can land a ball on a soft spongy green you dont need back spin

Set the course up for the hackers and all the skill is taken out of the game. Plus in the long term having softer greens wont do the health of the green any good !!

Plus I always wanted to set the course up for the low handycappers as it might we were working to the best of our ability.

Last edited:
I always felt sorry the the lower handycappers.
As the 'hackers' would always be moaning the fairways are cut to short, rough to long, greens to firm and fast, bunkers are to deep with the wrong sand.

Thing is the fairway should be short so you can make good contact and put on back spin which than stops the ball on good firm fast greens. Any one can land a ball on a soft spongy green you dont need back spin

Set the course up for the hackers and all the skill is taken out of the game. Plus in the long term having softer greens wont do the health of the green any good !!

Plus I always wanted to set the course up for the low handycappers as it might we were working to the best of our ability.
Yes I feel really sorry for him - and his card full of pars and the odd birdie.

But I know what you mean though - I beat someone who was playing off 4 in the last round - it does seem to be weighted to us high handicappers.

I'm new to regular golf (since lockdown) and my handicap is falling a bit this year and I'm hopeful I will soon be down to under 18.

Yes I feel really sorry for him - and his card full of pars and the odd birdie.

But I know what you mean though - I beat someone who was playing off 4 in the last round - it does seem to be weighted to us high handicappers.

I'm new to regular golf (since lockdown) and my handicap is falling a bit this year and I'm hopeful I will soon be down to under 18.

Bandit lol ;)

My mate who’s a member with me at Ashton split with his wife about 10 years ago. After a couple of months his ex started dating another member of the club, mate wasn’t happy and threatened new fella with physical violence.

Summer came and the draw was completed for the Singles Handicap. Mate and new fella got drawn against each other. We all thought one would pull out but they didn’t. A few of us sat on the Balcony overlooking the 18th about an hour before they were due in. The match went to the 15th where it concluded and they both walked back to the Clubhouse with the full width of the fairway separating them.

Mate said they didn’t talk to each other all the way round other than to confirm scores, longest 3 hours of his life, (new bloke won).

I played West Middlesex yesterday.
Great round apart from two sixes on par 3s.Went round in 85 as well.
1st time i have played this year.Why is it the difficult holes u play well and the so called easy ones u fuck up.Mind i have been doing it for 40 yrs so i should not be surprised.
Any City fans in the area should have a go round west midd great course with fantastic greens.

Because this hasn't come up much recently and I'm bored/alarmed on the long weekend in the States . . .

Have journos, pros and sport observers not yet figured out that LIV doesn't aim to just compete with the PGA Tour, but ultimately to replace it?

I know it will take some time, but I mean, this was the plot of "Live (LIV?) and Let Die" FFS. Give away $1B in heroin "free" until the number addicts doubles, and your competitors go out of business then market much more expensive heroin to them later. Hell, venture capitalists have been using this playbook to "disrupt" sleepy industries for a few decades now (with varying levels of success).

Once LIV destroys the other tours, and becomes the odds-on draw for pros and fans as the last tour standing, it can dispense with fat long-term contracts and move back to eat-what-you-kill golf in the name of "competition".

It's only the majors that can stop this now by banning LIV players, but the Masters, R&A and USGA don't have the balls, nor probably the moral (or even legal?) right to do it at this point. I figure at some point the OWGR will cave and offer some level of modified points, which will be a free bonus to guys to play in other events who are already set for life anyway playing LIV exhibition golf.

It's really not any skin off my nose as I'll just watch less golf as long as two or three half-tours exist -- it just makes me sad. It's certainly destroyed the PGA earnings-based golf pool I've been in with a couple dozen other guys for 25 years.

Last edited:
Because this hasn't come up much recently and I'm bored/alarmed on the long weekend in the States . . .

Have journos, pros and sport observers not yet figured out that LIV doesn't aim to just compete with the PGA Tour, but ultimately to replace it?

I know it will take some time, but I mean, this was the plot of "Live (LIV?) and Let Die" FFS. Give away $1B in heroin "free" until the number addicts doubles, and your competitors go out of business then market much more expensive heroin to them later. Hell, venture capitalists have been using this playbook to "disrupt" sleepy industries for a few decades now (with varying levels of success).

Once LIV destroys the other tours, and becomes the odds-on draw for pros and fans as the last tour standing, it can dispense with fat long-term contracts and move back to eat-what-you-kill golf in the name of "competition".

It's only the majors that can stop this now by banning LIV players, but the Masters, R&A and USGA don't have the balls, nor probably the moral (or even legal?) right to do it at this point. I figure at some point the OWGR will cave and offer some level of modified points, which will be a free bonus to guys to play in other events who are already set for life anyway playing LIV exhibition golf.

It's really not any skin off my nose as I'll just watch less golf as long as two or three half-tours exist -- it just makes me sad. It's certainly destroyed the PGA earnings-based golf pool I've been in with a couple dozen other guys for 25 years.
The tour does need to modernise though, even little things like allowing them to wear shorts. It’s 2022, not 1920 anymore.

Agree with the rest of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.