Golf tips

Been playing for just over a year and struggling for consistency. I know a lot of it is still down to technique but I’m beginning to wonder if I should upgrade my clubs or whether that is just deluding myself that they will improve my game.

Ive got a basic Fazer beginners set that cost £200 for irons, drivers bag etc. Would I get any joy with a new set of irons ( or good second hand) and any tips on what to buy. Wouldn’t want to spend more than a couple of hundred again

In my experience the clubs themselves make very little difference unless you are gaming clubs over 10 years old, however as already raised getting the lies of the clubs checked may help. The best advise i can give anyone is £100 spent on lessons is so much better than £100 spent on clubs.

As an example my regular playing partner was playing off 25 fifteen years ago, he has spent at least £2k on clubs in this time and today plays off 25.

You can't buy a golf game.

I play at a marriott, a multi billion pound company, yet our course manager does not play golf. Course preparation shows that. I have never understood how the person responsible for setting up a course is not an experienced knowledgeable golfer. At 1400 quid a year it really is annoying.
Most golfers are like most football fans they know very little, and do not care or know how to treat a golf course.

I have had that said to me 'you dont play golf you dont know how to set the course up'. I would say so C&G = NVQ level 3 and 20 years of experience counts for nothing. Mostly said to me from double figures handy caps who by being double figures arent that good at golf. I played of 5. I once ask "as seeing as you think its important I play golf I am happy to play in works time if it's part of my job". They said no play in your own time. I asked the question to him he was a double windows salesman "how many windows do you fit in your spare time as its important you know how to fit them " ;)
One head of greens asked me to play around with him, I borrowed clubs from the clubs pro, I hadnt played for about 10yrs and beat him easy all the things he said that was wrong with the course I didnt go anywhere them. Nothing wrong with the course it was his game that was wrong. Bunker were wrong not enough sand , I put my bunker shot within 6 inches of the hole, he couldnt get out of the bunkers !.

I have managed golf course, sports grounds ( football, hockey, cricket, tennis and bowling greens ), private schools and all those together never moaned as much as golfers do in a month !.

Members would moan about pitch marks saying greenkeeper should repair them after ever society had played because members never leave a pitch mark. So one friday evening me and a fellow greenkeeper went to the 15th green at 9pm and repaired every pitch mark. Than first thing monday morning we went out and put a golf ball in each pitch mark and took a photo to show the members how many pitch mark's were left by them over the weekend. The secretary wouldnt put the picture up he said it would cause to much trouble to show 167 pitch marks left by the members over the weekend.

Enjoy your golf I am well rid of greenkeeping, the wages arent there now for the amount of hassle ;)

Golfers try to play the course how they want the course not how it is ;)

Last edited:
I have had that said to me 'you dont play golf you dont know how to set the course up'. I would say so C&G = NVQ level 3 and 20 years of experience counts for nothing. Mostly said to me from double figures handy caps who by being double figures arent that good at golf. I played of 5. I once ask "as seeing as you think its important I play golf I am happy to play in works time if it's part of my job". They said no play in your own time. I asked the question to him he was a double windows salesman "how many windows do you fit in your spare time as its important you know how to fit them " ;)
One head of greens asked me to play around with him, I borrowed clubs from the clubs pro, I hadnt played for about 10yrs and beat him easy all the things he said that was wrong with the course I didnt go anywhere them. Nothing wrong with the course it was his game that was wrong. Bunker were wrong not enough sand , I put my bunker shot within 6 inches of the hole, he couldnt get out of the bunkers !.

I have managed golf course, sports grounds ( football, hockey, cricket, tennis and bowling greens ), private schools and all those together never moaned as much as golfers do in a month !.

Members would moan about pitch marks saying greenkeeper should repair them after ever society had played because members never leave a pitch mark. So one friday evening me and a fellow greenkeeper went to the 15th green at 9pm and repaired every pitch mark. Than first thing monday morning we went out and put a golf ball in each pitch mark and took a photo to show the members how many pitch mark's were left by them over the weekend. The secretary wouldnt put the picture up he said it would cause to much trouble to show 167 pitch marks left by the members over the weekend.

Enjoy your golf I am well rid of greenkeeping, the wages arent there now for the amount of hassle ;)

Golfers try to play the course how they want the course not how it is ;)

well said!

A golf course is played as it is, the same for everyone who plays on the day.

The joy of golf is not the perfect picture, but an art you paint by numbers!
The golf course is a land with many places to explore, but it’s up to the player where they choose to visit on the map!

There is no better feeling than teeing it up on a course you’ve never played before, embracing all the abnormalities and quirk’s it can throw at you, whilst full engrossed in the complexity of the next shot/putt.
Some people will complain about anything, instead of actually enjoying the fact they are blessed to be able to play golf at all!

well said!

A golf course is played as it is, the same for everyone who plays on the day.

The joy of golf is not the perfect picture, but an art you paint by numbers!
The golf course is a land with many places to explore, but it’s up to the player where they choose to visit on the map!

There is no better feeling than teeing it up on a course you’ve never played before, embracing all the abnormalities and quirk’s it can throw at you, whilst full engrossed in the complexity of the next shot/putt.
Some people will complain about anything, instead of actually enjoying the fact they are blessed to be able to play golf at all!

One complaint we use to get was the "greens arent fast enough". Now as most members are double figures handy capp'ers I would aim for the greens to run between 9 and 10 on the stim meter. This one year I thought sod it you want fast I'll give you fast. I got the green speed up ! it took us 2 weeks to get the greens to the speed I want, around 12 on the stim meter. That weekend rounds were taking over 6 hrs because they couldnt handle the greens, taking 6 or more putts, putting of the greens because I had the greens like glass lol.
Was called into a meeting on Monday morning moaning about the speed lucky for me I had it in writing to speed the greens up to about 12, trouble was they didnt know what 12 on the stim was like lol

Plus it caused chaos with their handy caps as it was a medal round ;)

Last edited:
One complaint we use to get was the "greens arent fast enough". Now as most members are double figures handy capp'ers I would aim for the greens to run between 9 and 10 on the stim meter. This one year I thought sod it you want fast I'll give you fast. I got the green speed up ! it took us 2 weeks to get the greens to the speed I want, around 12 on the stim meter. That weekend rounds were taking over 6 hrs because they couldnt handle the greens, taking 6 or more putts, putting of the greens because I had the greens like glass lol.
Was called into a meeting on Monday morning moaning about the speed lucky for me I had it in writing to speed the greens up to about 12, trouble was they didnt know what 12 on the stim was like lol

most club golfers can’t handle the greens running at around 8 for 1 high (8ft run out for a 1ft rise slope)
Never mind 9,10, and upwards.
The slope of the greens dictates the maximum speed a green can run at.

most club golfers can’t handle the greens running at around 8 for 1 high (8ft run out for a 1ft rise slope)
Never mind 9,10, and upwards.
The slope of the greens dictates the maximum speed a green can run at.

The biggest influence on green speed is the wind factor, something at lot of players dont know, plus about 10 years ago greens would be slower in the afternoon due to growth. Thanks to growth retardants now we can keep the speed more even throughout the day

especially now most of the uk greens have changed to bent grass from the slower bumpy meadow grass
(Poa annua).

Keeping out Poa is mostly impossible. There was a great product for killing of any Rye grass but ( I think ) it's not in production now.

Plus Poa can seed at about 3mm !

Poa started to become a big problem from the 70's once automatic irrigation systems started to go into members clubs. Up until than the British game had been pitch and run around the greens. Than with the new irrigation systems fitted members wanted the American game of hit and stop, by wanting the greens over watered to help the ball stop dead. This killed of the fescue/bent grasses allowing in the poa a much wreaking, shallow rooting more prone to disease to take over. Most problems on greens are caused by over irrigation and over feeding, yet golfers normally think those are the answer to all problems !

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.