good book suggestions

All Played Out- Pete Davies
Davies was given unlimited access to the England squad during 1989 and World Cup '90
Brilliant interviews with Waddle,Gazza,Barnes(he calls himself a lazy bastard!!) and the late, great Sir Bobby(R.I.P)
Started reading it again last week and what really sticks out is how much the red-tops HATED Robson at the time, but yet now they call him the best manager(England) since Ramsey
Fucking hypocrites
Anyway best sports book ive ever read
Also try Kara's Game by Gordon Stevens
Its about the war in Bosnia and the SAS in the early 90's
Very good read

Dale Blue said:
50 Dead Men walking. True life acount of an Irish bloke Martin Mcsomthing or other, who was a double agent for the IRA & MI5.

Read it 10 years ago, still one of the best I've ever read.

End of thread.
This.
(just don't come home wanting to watch the film. It's shit!)

If you want something mystery/crime try Manchester Blue by Eddie Shah I'd recommend The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but even in paperback it's a huge brick of a book - might put you over the baggage llimit - best crime novel I've read in years.

unclebatman said:
Dale Blue said:
50 Dead Men walking. True life acount of an Irish bloke Martin Mcsomthing or other, who was a double agent for the IRA & MI5.

Read it 10 years ago, still one of the best I've ever read.

End of thread.
This.
(just don't come home wanting to watch the film. It's shit!)

Your kidding? How an they turn such a great book into mush? I missed it at the pics & I was gutted.

The follow up, Dead man running isnt as good, but is worth a read. Dont tell the IRA but he lives in Newcastle now....

if youve never read any of the irvine welsh books, then treat yourself, they are fucking pure class, funny as fuck and gut wrenching at same time..

lovecityhateunited said:
thanks mate gonna try birdsong, someone mentioned this book to me a while back and gave similar comments to you, off to amazon now to purchase.

cheers
I found birdsong to be really boring, had to read it for A-level English.

A massively influential, incredibly funny and brilliant satire of war and beaurocracy is 'The Good Soldier Svejk'. It is probably my favourite book and I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

People will actually think you're mad as you chuckle to yourself on the beach, it is that funny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.