Goodbye Manchester

I left Manchester 42 years ago and said I would never want to live there again. In fact, the only time I've ever been back has been to watch City.

I've never missed anything else about Manchester, and am 1000000% certain that moving away has been nothing but positive for me, work and family wise.

That said, I'll always say that I'm a genuine Mancunian. You can take the lad out of Manchester, but you can't take Manchester out of the lad.

I left Manchester 42 years ago and said I would never want to live there again. In fact, the only time I've ever been back has been to watch City.

I've never missed anything else about Manchester, and am 1000000% certain that moving away has been nothing but positive for me, work and family wise.

That said, I'll always say that I'm a genuine Mancunian. You can take the lad out of Manchester, but you can't take Manchester out of the lad.

Like you I avoid Manchester like the plague, I am still a Mancunian but let's be honest it's a fucking shambles, it's disjointed unwelcoming and barely recognisable as a place that really was a very welcoming joint.

In many ways it deserves the Piccadilly gardens it ended up with.

This, except it was 41 years as of Aug 15th for me!

Passed through for a few days either side of a few weeks in a Greek Villa, and it only served to cement the feelings. My sibs are all still in and around Manc and I love them all dearly, but life in Manc looks and feels absolute dogshit versus the wide eyed kid I used to be that loved everything about it!

Born and dragged up in Newton Heath.
Ten years just across the border in Failsworth, then twenty four years in Marland, between Heywood and Rochdale.
Today we moved to Poulton Le Fylde. Feels weird to be away from Manc, but right for us now too.
Cheers.
Born & bread in Ashton, spent slightly longer 33 years in Oldham than there and moved to Fleetwood-by-the-sea last May, best thing we ever did.

All I miss is playing golf with my mates but I've gained a much better environment, a micro climate, lovely sea walks and fingers crossed zero hassle outside, even people's dogs are chilled here, never see them squabble or bark etc.

A home game now takes me rte best part of 8/9 hours which is lovely as I enjoy a drive, this will reduce once the parking restrictions come in though.

Would I return? Never, in fact but for City I'd never set foot in the place again, actually I lie, went to meet a longtime mate ex-st holder who escaped to Denmark around 2000 who'd come over last Xmas for a reunion do.

Last edited:
Moved out of Heywood in 2007 and but for the odd family visit, never been back.

Life moves on…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.