Grange Hill film

Loved Grange Hill, I went to secondary school from 85-90 and used to watch it when I came home. One thing I will say is that watching it made me think I was going to get my head flushed down the toilet when I went to high school, it petrified me.

Never happened though.
High School? Where in the conurbation was one of those during those years?

The Dad's Army film I refer to was just a load of respected actors prostituting themselves out trying to recreate cultural icons that they had no hope of doing so.

If the new Grange Hill tries the same it will suffer the same comparisons. Problems also arise if they go down a different route then the questions will be " how is this Grange Hill? " For me its a daft idea

You have done a good job of convincing me not to watch it, but I probably wouldn't have anyway because I never watch DA.

But that must have happened anyway, because it lasted 30 years and had several generations of audiences.

The trick is to keep the same broad idea but make adjustments that it is fresh and interesting enough to have new appeal.

Depends who the producers want to appeal to, will it really have legs if that is primarily the old farts who watched it the first time...

How do you transform a children's TV show into something that middle aged adults will watch?

I can remember that I watched it as a child, but I can't remember any of the storylines, naturally I can remember other stuff I watched that I found more interesting. For me that was children's tv that involved ordinary settings but fantasy elements.

Maybe because by that stage it wasn't remarkable, essentially a soap opera with a young audience, set in a school. But it still had enough appeal to attract audiences up until 2008.

Last edited:
Do the film with the original TV cast and Scooby Doo.
Then it would be all those pesky kids and a suspect janitor. That would be new.
Gonch Gardner was surely the young Alan Sugar?

How do you transform a children's TV show into something that middle adults will watch?

simple fact is you can't - it will always be " he is a crap Gripper Stebson" or "where is Gripper?" depending which way they jump. Things like this are a now win situation - the educations system - schools - teaching etc is so different now than it was then and its pure folly to link the two programmes. Why not just make the film and let it be a stand alone rather than make a spurious link. I doubt you could remake the Inbetweeners now with a new cast without criticism.

simple fact is you can't - it will always be " he is a crap Gripper Stebson" or "where is Gripper?" depending which way they jump. Things like this are a now win situation - the educations system - schools - teaching etc is so different now than it was then and its pure folly to link the two programmes. Why not just make the film and let it be a stand alone rather than make a spurious link. I doubt you could remake the Inbetweeners now with a new cast without criticism.

It was somewhat of a rhetorical question, because they can't really do that anyway. It would have to be something that aims to more than one age group.

There already was a remake of the inbetweeners. It was an American adaptation, that was unfunny and incoherent because they just traced around the British version (characters, scripts, and plot) but took out the things that offend American audiences.

There have been a few successful remakes of British series in America though. House of Cards, Shameless, the Office. Why?

Because they took the broad outline of the story and fleshed it out with originality and clear ideas about who the characters were, rather than automatically fall back on the source material.

Francis Underwood isn't the "American version of Urquhart", even though he is.

If you follow this pattern you can make remakes of remakes and it is still possible to have critical and commercial success.

It is the fifth filmed version of the story, which includes the original 1937 American musical, the 1954 American musical, the 1976 American musical and the 2013 Indian musical.

It was somewhat of a rhetorical question, because they can't really do that anyway. It would have to be something that aims to more than one age group.

There already was a remake of the inbetweeners. It was an American adaptation, that was unfunny and incoherent because they just traced around the British version (characters, scripts, and plot) but took out the things that offend American audiences.

There have been a few successful remakes of British series in America though. House of Cards, Shameless, the Office. Why?

Because they took the broad outline of the story and fleshed it out with originality and clear ideas about who the characters were, rather than automatically fall back on the source material.

Francis Underwood isn't the "American version of Urquhart", even though he is.

If you follow this pattern you can make remakes of remakes and it is still possible to have critical and commercial success.

It is the fifth filmed version of the story, which includes the original 1937 American musical, the 1954 American musical, the 1976 American musical and the 2013 Indian musical.

I wasn't saying - remakes bleaughhh - what I am saying is niche British remakes seldom find an appreciative audience never mind and international one which is where the money is - yes A Star Is Born remake was a success as is House of Gucci - if they can get Lady Gaga to play Suzanne Ross in Grange Hill the movie they may be in with a fighting chance lol

Ridiculous idea.
Will be politically correct and a load of bollocks
Will be called ”Non Binary Comprehensive“ and have a transgender Head Teacher. Kids will have “Take the Knee” Breaks and say “NO” to anything sensible. “Rather not say” leaders will be called Marcus and Greta.
House system will feature…..Tofu, Soya, Quorn and Lentils.
It’s a hit…..

I wasn't saying - remakes bleaughhh - what I am saying is niche British remakes seldom find an appreciative audience never mind and international one which is where the money is - yes A Star Is Born remake was a success as is House of Gucci - if they can get Lady Gaga to play Suzanne Ross in Grange Hill the movie they may be in with a fighting chance lol

Lol I know you weren't. That was just my analysis of what seems to be the self-evident explanation why you can remake/reboot something over and over again and not fail. If it is a good story, it never gets worn out as long as you remain fresh and relevant.

Macbeth and Romeo and Juliette don't get remade and retold and do well only because of casting decisions and good performances.

Until I found out that Redmond was writing the script I didn't expect Grange Hill to be a success, because I got the impression it will be overloaded by the weight of nostalgic expectations.

But unless he has run out of ideas, why would he just try to copy his own original characters?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.