Great (and positive) City quotes [from over the years]

Rowlands, Trautmann: The Biography, p. 178. Paul led his team into the tunnel and they lined up with the Birmingham players. He put the fear of God into everyone, including the terrified opponents, by suddenly stopping, holding up his fist and shouting:

'If we don't f**king win, you'll get some of this.'

#6 Roy Paul, from Ton Pentre [Played for CITY, Wales, Swansea Town (now City), Worcester City, Brecon Corinthians, and Garw Athletic: all from 1939 to 1961]. Born as one of 12 children. Practically had his own team in family. Colombian club Colombian club Millonarios almost signed him following a trial over there. Because of this trip to what he described as "a concentration camp, or maybe the monkey-house in the zoo", his club Swansea transfer-listed him. Then, he played for CITY.

Seemed he was a proper warrior in his day. In 1955, he said:

"Like certain generals I believe that in dire emergency it is often better to attack. I clapped my hands and yelled "Let's show these Geordies the stuff that's taken us to Wembley"".​

And, maybe some of our penalty takers should learn from him:

"the only reason I took them was because no-one else fancied it."

Ken Barnes said of Roy Paul:

"Roy’s style was more about power than guile – he was brilliant in the air and a born leader.”

Many gems so far. Let's enjoy this set:

Reacting to the presenter's "Where does he fit in?" question, Scouser Thompson told Soccer Saturday: "At the moment, I don't know. On the bench, I would think."

thumbnail

"Manchester City paying so much money for Kevin De Bruyne is an absolute joke." Paul Merson said.

"I thought he was out of his depth at Chelsea. He never once went out on the pitch and looked like he belonged there. I don't think he could handle it - and now he's going to City for about three times what Wolfsburg paid for him. Not for me.

"He'll be on the bench at City for a start, because you can't change a winning team. Who does he get in ahead of? No-one. They're all playing too well.

"But he didn't like it when he was on the bench at Chelsea and he ended up getting bombed out because Jose Mourinho questioned his attitude.

"Okay, he's had a good season in Germany. But there are only a few decent clubs there really, aren't there? It's not the Premier League.

"I just think their money could have been better spent elsewhere. They need a forward. Aguero and Bony are not enough."

But he did earn it after that:

I have always seen him as a bloke who's car doors fall off as he arrives at his destination.

“I was only about four yards out and I knew that once I chested it, it would cross the line because the cross had beaten the goalkeeper.“Wigan fans, it was off the chest! I still get them saying it was handball but it was off the chest!” - Shaun Goater, getting something off his chest.

“A little shaken, we made it back to the hotel to discover that Joe Mercer had watched the incident on television and then phoned the chairman, Albert Alexander in his room. Joe had said: ‘I’ve got some sad news, Mr Alexander. Bobby Kennedy has been assassinated.’ The chairman replied: ‘Bobby Kennedy? What was he doing out at this time of night?’ Joe had to explain that it wasn’t the Bobby Kennedy that played for City and was on tour with us but the dead President’s brother!" - Tony Book talks a little about City's six week post-season tour of the USA, during difficult times.

“There’s only one Grandma!” / "Grandma, give us a wave!" - some of the chants, and nothing to do with Rooney. No, it's our very own Poznan Grandma:
“It’s been quite hectic – I feel how the Queen feels, waving to everybody!"

"Joe Mercer was the figurehead but Malcolm Allison was the key to the door," Mike Summerbee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.