Greatest athlete since 1945

I'd say Bolt. Maybe it's a case of my age and recency bias, but even looking beyond his records I'd argue he single-handedly reignited interest in athletics. He was a titan.
Also let's be honest, just on results, he won almost everything that was available to him for three Olympics in a row and got at least one world record in every event he took part in. The only reason he didn't get 9/9 was because Jamaica were stripped of their medal from the 4x100m in Beijing because one of his teammates was done for doping. At the World Championships, he competed in 100m, 200m and 4x100m and only lost a single final between 2009 and 2015 over all three events, and that was a false start.

Can anyone else genuinely match that?

Jocky Wilson for me. What a player.

If not him then it has to go to a decathlon person. So Thompson is a very good shout

wow, Is that true? What did they change
You have to meet a minimum standard to compete nowadays. You have to be in the top 30% of your international competition, or one of the top 50 in the world. God knows how Eric the Eel qualified though. He could barely even swim.

There was a South African woman in the sport climbing qualifiers who came through the African competition, which presumably exists to try and make it a world event. But the reality is that it's not a big sport in Africa, and she genuinely could barely do any of the boulders and fell really early on the lead wall. So again, I'm not sure exactly how these things work even now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.