Greatest athlete since 1945

Daley was a world-class sprinter and pole vaulter.

He might not have broken world records in those events, but he was up there with the best.
I don't disagree, and if the question were "greatest all round athlete" I'd have picked Thompson without hesitation. He was unmatched.

Greatness is a very hard thing to measure of course, especially when there are many disciplines involved in athletics.

I don't disagree, and if the question were "greatest all round athlete" I'd have picked Thompson without hesitation. He was unmatched.

Greatness is a very hard thing to measure of course, especially when there are many disciplines involved in athletics.
I couldn’t agree more.

It’s like trying to compare footballers from different eras to determine who is the greatest of all time.

Poor form from the organisers. If they're the best in the country at that particular event then they should be allowed to represent the country no matter how crap they are. Where has the spirit of the games gone
By that measure, you'd have at least 184 athletes/teams for every event.

In terms of pure dominance in his sport - Wayne Gretzky

A great athlete, no doubt. So as to exclude loads of people from football, American football, (ice) hockey, I did say track and field. Otherwise, you'd definitely have to be including sportsmen like Nadal. Doesn't do badly in terms of being at the top for a long, long time.

Great as Gretzky was, I'm satisfied that my candidate beats him and anyone else. But in general, it's as I thought. People are pretty hypnotized by the Olympics. Sure, they're important. But actually there's everything that's going on for nearly four years between each Olympics that counts too. A lot, in fact.

Posted this on the Olympics thread, but Mijain Lopez has to be up there.

1723111630-0426.jpg

Just won his fifth Olympic gold medal in consecutive games for greco-Roman wrestling. The only person ever to do that in an individual sport.

That's pretty bloody amazing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.