Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

Wigan playoff semi final was the best I was involved in. Incredible atmosphere that day.

When king Colin made his comeback as a half time sub.
It was 0-0, finished 4-0, raw emotion from the crowd just lifted the whole team.
Newcastle didn’t know what the hell had just hit them
Was at that game and raised my voice when king Colin could be seen in the tunnel for the 2nd half. Never known an atmosphere like it was bonkers. Pretty sure it effected both teams and Newcastle players wouldn’t tackle Colin because he was still hobbling.

I only started going as a kid in the very early 90s so the best I was involved in was the final derby game. A comfortable winner I would say.

Feed the goat and he will score.

Derby at home 1974 - wonderful goal by Marsh - there was a way in which we could potentially still win the league - but relied on everyone else losing (on that date and in the matches they still had in hand) We beat Derby, I think we finished the day at the top of the league but Liverpool and Leeds had 2 games to play and Derby 1 and we knew it wouldn't be enough as Derby and Liverpool had to play one another. But I think it was the first time I saw Maine Road full - looking at the stats there were 20,000 more than normal there that day.

Middlesborough LC Semi-Final has been mentioned

Tottenham and Everton at Home end on 1976-77 season - again we were chasing the title - brilliant against Tottenham - one of Barnes's best ever performances - but drew against Everton which left us needing Liverpool to lose both their remaining matches - they drew the one they needed.

Liverpool LC SF in 1981 - we were robbed.

Agree on all of the above but a couple from the 1970s that stood out

Sunderland fa cup in 1973 , 50,000+ packed out
Birmingham first game of the season 1973 denis law return

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.