Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

An unusual one for me, 1993, Blackburn 3-2 on a cold misty late January day

Moneybags Blackburn had rocked up and were 2-0 up at half time
I don't know what was in the player's tea, but the second half we were brilliant and Maine Road was absolutely bouncing
David White was brought down for a pen when he was at least two yards outside the penalty area

A friend took his nephew to his first football match and on the way out this lad asked his Uncle if it was like that every week, to which the reply was "certainly is"

Can only imagine what the 80000 and numerous 70000 crowds were like in the 20s and 30s.

But my Dad says:

my top three in no particular order

Middlesboro semi final
Charlton promotion party
Coventry quarter final on a Wednesday afternoon wagging school was a special atmosphere even though only 25,000 there.

I will lay money now that anybody alive. Any money. Absolutely any money. Of anybody whoever stood in the Kippax wouldn't disagree that the best/most life-affirming moment of being on that terrace was the League Cup Semi-final in 1981. Kevin Reeves put us 1-0 up after a minute only to be incorrectly ruled out by Alf Grey. What a ****. That name just breeds hatred amongst Blues of my age still. It was a travesty. But back to atmosphere. I was a 14 Yr old schoolboy in the Kippax, my schoolmate was crying in the turnstiles because the crush to get in the Kippax was like nothing you'd seen before, and we were in the JUNIOR turnstile! My dad was in the adult queue (I know you can't believe that that's what we had to do) and so I had to somehow console my friend who was traumatised by the crush whilst legging it up to the Windy Corner entrance to the terrace to witness Kevin Reeves' goal straight off. We went mad. There was at least 5k outside the Kippax. The goal was disallowed as anyone who knows their history will know. The rest of the game panned out and we got beat with Malcolm Allison's team, but that's another story. But that was the game on the Kippax, where boys became men.

For me the best atmosphere was the Kind of Magic Queen concert with Status Quo as the support band!

(Couldn’t speak or hear for days afterwards !!)

Closely followed by the 5-1 thrashing of ManUre and the night game in the early 70s when we beat Liverpool in an FA Cup replay. Big Mal came onto the pitch wearing his fedora and wound up the crowd.
CTID
Queen were fucking shit but then, Quo the best act of the night

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.