Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

I will lay money now that anybody alive. Any money. Absolutely any money. Of anybody whoever stood in the Kippax wouldn't disagree that the best/most life-affirming moment of being on that terrace was the League Cup Semi-final in 1981. Kevin Reeves put us 1-0 up after a minute only to be incorrectly ruled out by Alf Grey. What a ****. That name just breeds hatred amongst Blues of my age still. It was a travesty. But back to atmosphere. I was a 14 Yr old schoolboy in the Kippax, my schoolmate was crying in the turnstiles because the crush to get in the Kippax was like nothing you'd seen before, and we were in the JUNIOR turnstile! My dad was in the adult queue (I know you can't believe that that's what we had to do) and so I had to somehow console my friend who was traumatised by the crush whilst legging it up to the Windy Corner entrance to the terrace to witness Kevin Reeves' goal straight off. We went mad. There was at least 5k outside the Kippax. The goal was disallowed as anyone who knows their history will know. The rest of the game panned out and we got beat with Malcolm Allison's team, but that's another story. But that was the game on the Kippax, where boys became men.

I was at both this game and the Everton 1/4 final replay, nothing to choose between the two in terms of atmosphere, what I would say though was that the atmosphere v Liverpool was probably the most supportive of the team Ive witnessed, we were expected to get a good hiding but that team showed incredible bollocks only to get as you rightly point out royally shafted by the ref, the game v Everton though, the atmosphere really did have a dark and menacing feel to it, the crowd were in no mood to take any shit from the scousers given Liverpool really took the piss in the semi outside the Kippax, shit houses.

The 3-1 last Maine Road Derby was good as was the 5-1 and the Charlton game.

I seem to recall the Liverpool 81 game being good too despite the result due to the injustice of the refs decision to disallow Reeves goal. It was certainly heated outside after the game!

I will lay money now that anybody alive. Any money. Absolutely any money. Of anybody whoever stood in the Kippax wouldn't disagree that the best/most life-affirming moment of being on that terrace was the League Cup Semi-final in 1981. Kevin Reeves put us 1-0 up after a minute only to be incorrectly ruled out by Alf Grey. What a ****. That name just breeds hatred amongst Blues of my age still. It was a travesty. But back to atmosphere. I was a 14 Yr old schoolboy in the Kippax, my schoolmate was crying in the turnstiles because the crush to get in the Kippax was like nothing you'd seen before, and we were in the JUNIOR turnstile! My dad was in the adult queue (I know you can't believe that that's what we had to do) and so I had to somehow console my friend who was traumatised by the crush whilst legging it up to the Windy Corner entrance to the terrace to witness Kevin Reeves' goal straight off. We went mad. There was at least 5k outside the Kippax. The goal was disallowed as anyone who knows their history will know. The rest of the game panned out and we got beat with Malcolm Allison's team, but that's another story. But that was the game on the Kippax, where boys became men.
This is the one that has left the biggest impression on me. I had a season ticket for the Kippax but for some reason for this game I was in the Platt Lane near the front. The best description I can give is that the atmosphere crackled from the Kippax, never experienced anything like it before or since at a football ground.

Aye, that brum game in 01 was a great atmosphere. Started off pretty low I seem to remember. Right after 9/11??

I got a text message in the bigs at half time during that game to tell me why then mrs was pregnant. All these years later and my daughter has just started college :-)
The post 9/11 match was under Keegan when Benarbia made his debut. The other Brum game was last home match of the season, a Friday night and a week before promotion at Blackburn.

5-1’s v Utd and Charlton for me...if I had to pick one it would be Utd just because of the away support. Bar the first title win and stoke in the cup, it’s still my favourite day as a blue, loved the 5-1 and the fact it was a team of mancs (mainly) that stuffed the cocky red shite!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.