Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

I don’t know why but I’ve never seen this. It’s the full half hour highlights from MOTD from the Charlton game, and really gives a taste of the atmosphere that day. Just listen to the noise. Also noteworthy are a number of songs which have died:

Here we go, here we go, here we go.
Going up, going up..
We shall not be moved
Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttyyyyyyyy (at corners)

etc.

I loved watching this and reminiscing

Interesting asides from this footage..jimmy frizzel has a crafty fag just before k.o on the City bench..

Jim Tolmie,who had apparently been in hospital all week,jumped off his sick bed to turn out for the Blues.

Both Mcarthy and Reid,who played at the notts county defeat on the Monday before.. both injured for this match
Alex Williams in goal when we lost to Luton in 1981 and went down,retained his place as we came back up

City start to play in a Pep' play it out from the back .' williams rolls it out,ball is moved to Clememts who panicks and then lomax finds row Z...nerves take over..
City lucky to have a 17 yr old keeper in the Charlton net. A young alan curbishley hits the post..Mick Flanagan up front ,way past his best ..i always remember him for getting sent off for fighting with his team mate and fellow striker Derek Hales..both red carded.

And finally..The roar of the Kippax every time City break forward.

Easy to forget that not only was this the day of the Bradford fire disaster,but also Leeds and Brum fans kicking off at St Andrews.120 arrests,60 injured,a young fan died,and a food stall was set on fire..by leeds.
Footy was def different back then...

I haven't read all the threads so I don't know if this game has been mentioned, but one of the best atmospheres I remember was in the cup winners cup against Gornik Zabrze's in 1971, the same team we beat in the final the year before. We lost the first leg 2-0 and were ravaged by injuries for the second leg so had to play a load of kids, nobody gave us much chance.

Before the game the club appealed in the MEN for support and they got it in spades. Gornik said before the game they feared the Manchester rain and sure enough it absolutely bucketed it down. Roared on by the crowd the kids played out of their skin and 2-0 took the game to a nailbiting extra time and no further score meant a replay on a neutral game where we won 3-1.

The crowd were brilliant that night and carried the kids who played so well Gornik wanted them tested for drugs! One heart stopping moment was their star forward Lubanski going around Healey with seconds to go but the ball stuck in the mud saving us. A great night.

It was before my time, but do any of you older fans have memories of attending this derby at Maine Road in 1971? The attendance was 63,000 and the crowd noise sounds very loud. Great game too.

I was there in the North Stand behind the goal which was rivalling the kippax at the time as our vocal end. Unfortunately for a fair few rags they didn't know this and as their scarves went up when they scored it was soon followed in the air by them as they got a hiding.

Remember a game in the late 70's against the dippers, queued to get in until just before the end of the first half, they were wrapping bricks in newspaper, setting fire to em then lobbing them into the Kippax, suffice to say, once we had lit our fags off em, we lobbed em back :-) the place was absolutely rocking, can't remember the score but I think they fucked us 4-0, the atmosphere was unbelievable .......!

This might seem an odd choice, but some oldsters might also recall the occasion. City v Sheffield Utd, Oct 1967. After a disappointing opening three games in that campaign, City had put together an impressive string of wins. Three days previously, we had thumped Leicester 4-0 in the League Cup, and a young debutant Stan Bowles had come on as a sub, scoring two goals. Now he scored two more in a 5-2 victory - that's 4 goals in one and a half games (sadly, those were his only goals in a City shirt).

But late in the first half we were rattling in goal after goal. The crowd were going crazy and I remember I stood on the Kippax trembling. I was literally quivering with excitement and damn near had a heart attack. Could this be the start of a mew golden era? Paul Hince played right wing that day, but the following month we signed Franny, the jigsaw was complete and the crowd was singing "Joe Mercer, Joe Mercer, is it true what people say, we're going to win....the Football League", to the tune of Keith West's "Excerpt from a Teenage Opera". We bloody did, too.

I wish I could find the times of those five goals, but we seemed to score three in four or five minutes - and as I say, I trembled with excitement and anticipation of what was surely to come.

Anyone else remember it?

This might seem an odd choice, but some oldsters might also recall the occasion. City v Sheffield Utd, Oct 1967. After a disappointing opening three games in that campaign, City had put together an impressive string of wins. Three days previously, we had thumped Leicester 4-0 in the League Cup, and a young debutant Stan Bowles had come on as a sub, scoring two goals. Now he scored two more in a 5-2 victory - that's 4 goals in one and a half games (sadly, those were his only goals in a City shirt).

But late in the first half we were rattling in goal after goal. The crowd were going crazy and I remember I stood on the Kippax trembling. I was literally quivering with excitement and damn near had a heart attack. Could this be the start of a mew golden era? Paul Hince played right wing that day, but the following month we signed Franny, the jigsaw was complete and the crowd was singing "Joe Mercer, Joe Mercer, is it true what people say, we're going to win....the Football League", to the tune of Keith West's "Excerpt from a Teenage Opera". We bloody did, too.

I wish I could find the times of those five goals, but we seemed to score three in four or five minutes - and as I say, I trembled with excitement and anticipation of what was surely to come.

Anyone else remember it?
I remember the Keith West song. We certainly had some creative lyricists amongst the fan base.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.