Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

In my time as a City fan (season ticket holder 74-20) it has to be beating Everton in the FA Cup QF Replay in 1981. The Kippax was like a choppy sea and the noise was incredible.
Great description. They were closing the turnstiles to the Kippax eventually ended up in the scoreboard next to the main stand, Everton fans everywhere, ducking under the police horses as plod tried to turn us away. Big George launching Alan Ball in his white boots stands out, football was pretty brutal, but what a f'kin atmosphere....Went to a couple of semi-finals at MR, 75000 official gate but pretty flat, City obviously not involved. Also, there is something about flood-lit games that adds to atmosphere, the Dortmund game was electric but on a wet "satdy" afternoon i doubt it would have been as good...`anyway good thread this, if only to show how much the fan experience has changed.

Great description. They were closing the turnstiles to the Kippax eventually ended up in the scoreboard next to the main stand, Everton fans everywhere, ducking under the police horses as plod tried to turn us away. Big George launching Alan Ball in his white boots stands out, football was pretty brutal, but what a f'kin atmosphere....Went to a couple of semi-finals at MR, 75000 official gate but pretty flat, City obviously not involved. Also, there is something about flood-lit games that adds to atmosphere, the Dortmund game was electric but on a wet "satdy" afternoon i doubt it would have been as good...`anyway good thread this, if only to show how much the fan experience has changed.
Have u got your Everton matches mixed up BB? You replied to a post about 81 q/f replay. .but mention Big George (heslop? ) roughing up Alan Ball........

DOH.....senile old twat ......
Lol no worries
I presume /guess u meant the 1969 fa cup semi at villa park?
I know Ball was man marked by City that day. ..being one of the finest players in England at the time and a real threat to our cup final hopes.

Lol no worries
I presume /guess u meant the 1969 fa cup semi at villa park?
I know Ball was man marked by City that day. ..being one of the finest players in England at the time and a real threat to our cup final hopes.
I was at that game Dave Conner marked Ball,Booth played and scored Heslop didn't play.

The ones I experienced are in no particular order.

81 v Everton replay
2-1 v Liverpool early 90s
Charlton
Utd 5-1
Utd 3-3
Leeds 4-0 x 2
I remember was it Oxford 89? 1-0 down in 88 mins and won 2-1 a night match.
Wigan semi 1-0
Crewe 5-2
Portsmouth home when we won the league
Bournemouth 3-3
Utd 1-0 McKenzie
Spurs 2-5
Luton 0-1
Liverpool 0-1 semi

I'm sure there's more.

Last edited:
It was probably the only game where I felt, scared is probably not the right word, say claustrophobic.

I like you couldn't get to my regular spot which was to the right of the tunnel entrance near the cage where the away fans stood.

I ended up the other side of the Kippax, towards the North Stand, on line with the 18 yard box..

I couldn't put my hands by my side it was that full and at one stage I thought I was going to have a panic attack as I just couldn't move.

Sunderland fans were everywhere..

Their support that day was outstanding..!

It was awful on the Kippax that day, I like yourself moved much closer to the North Stand end, people could have got seriously hurt or worse.

That one's before my time! I meant 81.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my guess work at the 28,000 for the 10-1 game v Huddersfield.WOW less than 20,000.Thankfully I was there that day to witness the 3 hat tricks.Wonder if this counts better than a trip to York ?? ;)

That day was hilarious to me. 3 of us went to every game and when we went to pick up the 3rd, my best mate, he just walked up to the car and said I don't fancy it today lads. He had never done that before, should have seen his face in the boozer later haha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.