Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

This might seem an odd choice, but some oldsters might also recall the occasion. City v Sheffield Utd, Oct 1967. After a disappointing opening three games in that campaign, City had put together an impressive string of wins. Three days previously, we had thumped Leicester 4-0 in the League Cup, and a young debutant Stan Bowles had come on as a sub, scoring two goals. Now he scored two more in a 5-2 victory - that's 4 goals in one and a half games (sadly, those were his only goals in a City shirt).

But late in the first half we were rattling in goal after goal. The crowd were going crazy and I remember I stood on the Kippax trembling. I was literally quivering with excitement and damn near had a heart attack. Could this be the start of a mew golden era? Paul Hince played right wing that day, but the following month we signed Franny, the jigsaw was complete and the crowd was singing "Joe Mercer, Joe Mercer, is it true what people say, we're going to win....the Football League", to the tune of Keith West's "Excerpt from a Teenage Opera". We bloody did, too.

I wish I could find the times of those five goals, but we seemed to score three in four or five minutes - and as I say, I trembled with excitement and anticipation of what was surely to come.

Anyone else remember it?
That is a Fantastic post.An important of our History,imo.

Folk forget Stanley Bowles and Ian Bowyer came thru the ranks at City ,before lighting up the 70s with different clubs,in vastly different ways...

I never saw Stan Bowles play........,but ive read so much about him(part of the gifted late 70s qpr team) and Bowyer.......only player to leave City and win two European cup medals.will hav e to check on Colin Barrett, the right footed left back who got one for Forest later.
I have a late 60s framed team pic of City with Stan Bowles on it...quite proud that Bowles was part of City,for his Maverick style of play throughout the 70s for qpr /Englamd...his skills were honed in Moss side.Bowles was one of the games more skiful players,made his name elsewhere,but as a true football fan.which i am...i,m Proud he started at Maine rd.Stan Bowles is Blue..

That is a Fantastic post.An important of our History,imo.

Folk forget Stanley Bowles and Ian Bowyer came thru the ranks at City ,before lighting up the 70s with different clubs,in vastly different ways...

I never saw Stan Bowles play........,but ive read so much about him(part of the gifted late 70s qpr team) and Bowyer.......only player to leave City and win two European cup medals.will hav e to check on Colin Barrett, the right footed left back who got one for Forest later.
I have a late 60s framed team pic of City with Stan Bowles on it...quite proud that Bowles was part of City,for his Maverick style of play throughout the 70s for qpr /Englamd...his skills were honed in Moss side.Bowles was one of the games more skiful players,made his name elsewhere,but as a true football fan.which i am...i,m Proud he started at Maine rd.Stan Bowles is Blue..
And Paul Hince!

Interesting asides from this footage..jimmy frizzel has a crafty fag just before k.o on the City bench..

Jim Tolmie,who had apparently been in hospital all week,jumped off his sick bed to turn out for the Blues.

Both Mcarthy and Reid,who played at the notts county defeat on the Monday before.. both injured for this match
Alex Williams in goal when we lost to Luton in 1981 and went down,retained his place as we came back up

City start to play in a Pep' play it out from the back .' williams rolls it out,ball is moved to Clememts who panicks and then lomax finds row Z...nerves take over..
City lucky to have a 17 yr old keeper in the Charlton net. A young alan curbishley hits the post..Mick Flanagan up front ,way past his best ..i always remember him for getting sent off for fighting with his team mate and fellow striker Derek Hales..both red carded.

And finally..The roar of the Kippax every time City break forward.

Easy to forget that not only was this the day of the Bradford fire disaster,but also Leeds and Brum fans kicking off at St Andrews.120 arrests,60 injured,a young fan died,and a food stall was set on fire..by leeds.
Footy was def different back then...
Brilliant occasion mate, and thanks to @Didsbury Dave for finding that footage, quality, brings back happy memories. The lad at the end in grey jumper hugging Alex Williams is one of my best mates. I was in the Platt lane that day and shot over the wall onto the pitch like a gazelle when the whistle blew. A copper tried rugby tackling me and I gave him the slip, turning round to give him a cheeky V-sign.

"City are back, City are back, hello, hello": )

It was before my time, but do any of you older fans have memories of attending this derby at Maine Road in 1971? The attendance was 63,000 and the crowd noise sounds very loud. Great game too.

I just love the commentary...
When City pull off the comeback from 2nil down..
"Manchester City are absolutely rampant now"

And.right at the end..
" And that brings to an end ..A Magnificent game of Football"

Which it was.3-3. Sammy Mclroy scored as a 17 yr old on his debut.Best looking imperious ,altering positions at will..a truly two footed player and you could see how difficult it was to read his game in full flight..Lee unhappy at being booked,takes the piss by diving on the ground ...belly flop style ..then repeats this to actually get a penalty later on...which he smashed into the net like a missile..Jesus take note...
Mike Summerbee...I believe is injured towards the end of the match ..but still gives every ounce of effort he possibly can,and rescues a point for his beloved Blues.You can tell when a player really loves and feels for a club.just watch Buzzer put that effort in the last few minutues of the footage
A great game.The Commentary is breathless.Electric.Respectful. ...no snide remarks
What a game!

I just love the commentary...
When City pull off the comeback from 2nil down..
"Manchester City are absolutely rampant now"

And.right at the end..
" And that brings to an end ..A Magnificent game of Football"

Which it was.3-3. Sammy Mclroy scored as a 17 yr old on his debut.Best looking imperious ,altering positions at will..a truly two footed player and you could see how difficult it was to read his game in full flight..Lee unhappy at being booked,takes the piss by diving on the ground ...belly flop style ..then repeats this to actually get a penalty later on...which he smashed into the net like a missile..Jesus take note...
Mike Summerbee...I believe is injured towards the end of the match ..but still gives every ounce of effort he possibly can,and rescues a point for his beloved Blues.You can tell when a player really loves and feels for a club.just watch Buzzer put that effort in the last few minutues of the footage
A great game.The Commentary is breathless.Electric.Respectful. ...no snide remarks
What a game!

Amazing that the Lee penalty was also our last League goal from a penalty in a"home" Manchester derby.

Vassell missed in 06/07 whilst Curle's 91-92 equalizer was at the swamp.
That just leaves Tevez in the LC Semi Final, which hopefully might be an omen for tonight.

Versus Coventry at home circa 1980 (ish)? Big Joe Corrigan got stretchered off first five minutes so Bobby McDonald had to go between the sticks, he played a blinder as he was getting shots at him from every angle. The Kippax was bouncing that day and as a young 12 year old I was in awe, best atmosphere I had ever been involved in up to that point thus it sticks in my mind... Happy days.

Or was it Watford ??? LOL head is not what it used to be Grrr

Amazing that the Lee penalty was also our last League goal from a penalty in a"home" Manchester derby.

Vassell missed in 06/07 whilst Curle's 91-92 equalizer was at the swamp.
That just leaves Tevez in the LC Semi Final, which hopefully might be an omen for tonight.
Thought we should have had One tonite....

Versus Coventry at home circa 1980 (ish)? Big Joe Corrigan got stretchered off first five minutes so Bobby McDonald had to go between the sticks, he played a blinder as he was getting shots at him from every angle. The Kippax was bouncing that day and as a young 12 year old I was in awe, best atmosphere I had ever been involved in up to that point thus it sticks in my mind... Happy days.

Or was it Watford ??? LOL head is not what it used to be Grrr
Looks like it may well have been Watford ..Sept .82/83 season...Corrigan injured.Sub that day ? Dennis Tueart
City win 1-0. ..scorer. ..Dennis Tueart!
Just had a look at the book by statiscian Ray Goble (RIP) ..Manchester City Complete Record1887-1987.
That was Tuearts first game of the season, and he remained a fixture in the side from that day on....the end of the season tho is nowt to shout about.....
I can remember being on the Kippax when Nial Quinn went in stcks at Maine rd...big roar and we cheered the team on to victory...did he save a penalty from Dean Saunders...i think so.
Was also at Walsall late 80s..Gleghorn had to put the gloves on after Dibble injured.crazy match.3-3.!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.