Greatest Manchester Band?

Immaculate Pasta said:
Banned Tosspot said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
Oasis not only my favourite but the greatest.

Who else could sell out three Wembley stadium dates (270,000 tickets), two Heaton Park dates (140,000) plus they will sell out the third date (extra 70,000), Slane Castle (90,000), SOL (45,000), Murrayfield (60,000), so thats 675,000 tickets sold in a few hours?

No one else comes close, they could also have a set list of 50 songs that everyone would know, not many bands could do that either.

LEGENDS
Many bands and acts could.

Jackson, Prince, Led Zep, Spice Girls, Take That, McCartney, AC/DC, Metallica.......

I'll stop now.

Apart from MJ and Prince, i don't think any of them including McCartney could sell out concerts the size of Oasis.
Maybe the fans of the other acts have moved on.

Banned Tosspot said:
*Oasis = Lager drinkers with tiny minds then.

I also think you'll find that 4hb knows the Chief's are from Leeds and was just making a point about selling out gigs.

RATM have reformed for your nostalgia then?

Whilst Take That's demographic is/was undeniably teenage girls, anyone's who's ever been to an Oasis gig will tell you the age ranges from 14-40 both male and female.

My point about selling out venues was to show that even though they formed over 15 years ago Oasis can still bring in stadium/festival size crowds simply to go and watch them. On both sides of the atlantic (addmittidly more so over here)

The fact 4hb brought a non manchester band into this makes no sense whatsoever to me, the question wasn't the greatest band ever but the Greatest 'Manchester' band. The selling out point was just one part of what i was saying.

Oasis pioneered a movement (Brit Pop), broke America, wrote songs that people still flock in their droves and pay decent money to listen and sing along to. Whatever anyone's opinion on them they still manage gigs all over the world and their's an audience willing to come and support them whatever city they turn up at. The movement they were apart of is no longer "in fashion" yet they are still popular.

Thats all i was saying, not too many Manchester bands not only achieved what they did in thier hayday but carried it on and continued to be a success even though they were no longer flavour of the month.

GStar said:
Banned Tosspot said:
*Oasis = Lager drinkers with tiny minds then.

I also think you'll find that 4hb knows the Chief's are from Leeds and was just making a point about selling out gigs.

RATM have reformed for your nostalgia then?

Whilst Take That's demographic is/was undeniably teenage girls, anyone's who's ever been to an Oasis gig will tell you the age ranges from 14-40 both male and female.

My point about selling out venues was to show that even though they formed over 15 years ago Oasis can still bring in stadium/festival size crowds simply to go and watch them. On both sides of the atlantic (addmittidly more so over here)

The fact 4hb brought a non manchester band into this makes no sense whatsoever to me, the question wasn't the greatest band ever but the Greatest 'Manchester' band. The selling out point was just one part of what i was saying.

Oasis pioneered a movement (Brit Pop), broke America, wrote songs that people still flock in their droves and pay decent money to listen and sing along to. Whatever anyone's opinion on them they still manage gigs all over the world and their's an audience willing to come and support them whatever city they turn up at. The movement they were apart of is no longer "in fashion" yet they are still popular.

Thats all i was saying, not too many Manchester bands not only achieved what they did in thier hayday but carried it on and continued to be a success even though they were no longer flavour of the month.
Oasis never broke America.

There are a hell of a lot of Liam wannabees so I guess that's kept them going whilst their music has deteriorated.

Oasis consists of two original members who live off the 'we're brothers and we hate each other' crap.

Banned Tosspot said:

Maybe, but Oasis could still sell out just as well or even better than the best bands up there. There are apart of that group, up there with the acts and bands you have mentioned.

Immaculate Pasta said:
Banned Tosspot said:

Maybe, but Oasis could still sell out just as well or even better than the best bands up there. There are apart of that group, up there with the acts and bands you have mentioned.
The Stop the Clocks album proved what I have said above.

Banned Tosspot said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
Banned Tosspot said:

The Stop the Clocks album proved what I have said above.

Which is what? I am not following.

Banned Tosspot said:

There are a hell of a lot of Liam wannabees so I guess that's kept them going whilst their music has deteriorated.

Oasis consists of two original members who live off the 'we're brothers and we hate each other' crap.

Oh man, again, this thread should have little personal opinions used as a negative impact on each band.

You keep mentioning non Manchester bands - nothing to do with what's being discussed

They never broke America - Well yea, they did, infact they've just been touring there. I think Dig out your soul debuted at #5 on the Billboard chart too, but don't quote me.

Their music has deteriorated - whilst i'd agree with you on a personal level the fact they have sold out 2 dates at Heaton Park so quickly they opened a third, as well as the rest of the tour which IP stated at 675,000 tickets, all on two brothers "...hate each other crap" is a ridiculous statement... people wouldn't snap up tickets of that quantity on a musical soap opera.

Again put opinions aside and look at what they've done and are continuing to do.

Right, i need to get off to the game, no doubt i'll have to rewrite what i've written in this thread already when i get back!

GStar said:
Banned Tosspot said:

Oh man, again, this thread should have little personal opinions used as a negative impact on each band.

You keep mentioning non Manchester bands - nothing to do with what's being discussed

They never broke America - Well yea, they did, infact they've just been touring there. I think Dig out your soul debuted at #5 on the Billboard chart too, but don't quote me.

Their music has deteriorated - whilst i'd agree with you on a personal level the fact they have sold out 2 dates at Heaton Park so quickly they opened a third, as well as the rest of the tour which IP stated at 675,000 tickets, all on two brothers "...hate each other crap" is a ridiculous statement... people wouldn't snap up tickets of that quantity on a musical soap opera.

Again put opinions aside and look at what they've done and are continuing to do.

Right, i need to get off to the game, no doubt i'll have to rewrite what i've written in this thread already when i get back!

BT knows his music but i cannot take his opinion on Oasis seriously as he hates local people from Manchester doing well for themselves ;-)

I think Oasis are the greatest band ever (that's my opinion) and i certainly know they are up there with the likes of The Beatles ect as a worldwide massive band because still after 14 or so years they are still selling millions and millions of records and selling out the biggest venue's all over the world.

I don't particulary like The Beatles as they don't really do anything for me and their songs are abit Nursery Rhyme-ish but i can still acknowledge that they are one of the greatest bands ever to have played music.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.