Greatest Manchester Band?

Banned Tosspot said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
Oasis not only my favourite but the greatest.

Who else could sell out three Wembley stadium dates (270,000 tickets), two Heaton Park dates (140,000) plus they will sell out the third date (extra 70,000), Slane Castle (90,000), SOL (45,000), Murrayfield (60,000), so thats 675,000 tickets sold in a few hours?

No one else comes close, they could also have a set list of 50 songs that everyone would know, not many bands could do that either.

LEGENDS
Many bands and acts could.

Jackson, Prince, Led Zep, Spice Girls, Take That, McCartney, AC/DC, Metallica.......

I'll stop now.

I like alot of Jackson's music, but it has been absolute shite for a decade... and it has sold as such. He has been living off of his Smooth Criminal dance routines - see "You rock my world" and gangster image - see "You rock my world" , for ages.

For me, Jackson , the Beatles/Lennon and Oasis are the best ever. Doesnt mean I have to like every album or song tho. Jackson's stuff after "HIStory" has been awful, The Beatles' early stuff was a shower of shite and Oasis' latest albums are hit and miss(more miss).

Oasis are the best Manchester band, followed by the Roses and Doves.

The problem with Oasis tho is that Noel is shite at selecting albums. No other band has had absolute classics B-Sides, like The Masterplan, Talk Tonight, Acquiesce etc etc etc

Call yourself music fans? 11 pages and no-one mentioned the Shire Horses? :-p

Always had a soft spot for the Buzzcocks.
Liked Oasis early albums but now they are just rehashing the same stuff.
Out of all the current Manc bands I give the nod to Doves...can't wait for the new album.

Banned Tosspot said:
Oasis never broke America.

don't be a joker. of course they did. they're playing madison square garden in december and headlined the V festival in Toronto. They might not be the same as they are here, but they're still a big band over there

In terms of the 'greatest' and not my favourite I'll go for The Smiths. My favourite is The Stone Roses.

Of the current bands Doves are releasing the best albums.

Oasis have done a fine job , but they'll never realistically compare to true legends like the Bee Gees ..... who really WERE a supergroup , in every sense of the word!

They've stood the test of time against probably the toughest opposition ever in the music industry ..... practically ANY group / solo singer was good enough to hit the top of the charts in the late fifties/ sixties , such was the sheer quality of most of the music around at that time , and an awful lot did too ..... they also had to compete against probably THE greatest music machine ever .. Tamla Motown ...... not too mention Elvis and the Beatles!

But they DID cope admirably , some would say even bettered ........ America fell in love with them too.

Oasis just don't stand in comparison to people like this , huge though they are , an' talk of the Smiths bein' the greatest Manc band is laughable ..... an' people who think Noel Gallagher is a top songwriter , are obviously unaware of the immense talents down the years of Barry/Robin Gibb ....... in 1978 alone Barry Gibb wrote four straight number one hits in America , breaking the existing 1964 record of Lennon/McCartney.

More than 225 million record sales puts them in the top five or six selling acts of all time ..... not to mention the many number one records that they've written for others , or the rmany ecord hits that they've collaborated on with other artists ....... one of their hits 'How deep is your love' has no less 400 cover versions of it done by other artists!

Fifty years after they originally started out , and the Bee Gees are still around (in a fashion), albeit in depleted numbers after the death of Maurice , and albeit far less publicly than they once were , rumour has it they only sing individuallly now ..... but' as they've proved time and time again in the past , when they want to they're still capable of livin' at the very top ...... they simply 'shift up a gear' to master the opposition.

The only question with them now is how often they feel like makin' music together ..... other circumstances have taken a lead in their lives ....... they simply chose to do other things now , an' have since 2003.

But realistically ....... there really is no all-time comparison arguement here.

mcigo said:
Banned Tosspot said:
Oasis never broke America.

don't be a joker. of course they did. they're playing madison square garden in december and headlined the V festival in Toronto. They might not be the same as they are here, but they're still a big band over there

Playing a venue in a city full of Brits and a city in Canada, hardly equates to breaking America

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.