Greatest match of all time……….

Either Real Madrid 7 Eintracht Frankfurt 3 at Hampden Park in E.C. Final 1960
Or North Korea v Portugal Eusebio at Goodison 1966 World Cup.

Last edited:
Would love to have seen the two Hungary matches against England in the 50s. But that's really before my time. They were the wake-up call for England, apparently. The English finally understood that they had to start participating regularly in World Cups and European club competitions, and just generally get up to speed.
YouTube has both the 6 -3 at Wembley and the 7-1 return match in Budapest. Until today I'd only seen brief highlights of the first match and have just found the whole game there, colorized. You see the Hungarians playing keepy-uppy with the ball before kick off, a warning sign of what England were in for.
Youtube has about 20 minutes of the return match in 1954 with a Hungarian commentary. Watching that and seeing the people in the stadium in Budapest I wonder how many of those happily cheering folks that day were lost or fled when the bastard Russians invaded two years later.

YouTube has both the 6 -3 at Wembley and the 7-1 return match in Budapest. Until today I'd only seen brief highlights of the first match and have just found the whole game there, colorized. You see the Hungarians playing keepy-uppy with the ball before kick off, a warning sign of what England were in for.
Youtube has about 20 minutes of the return match in 1954 with a Hungarian commentary. Watching that and seeing the people in the stadium in Budapest I wonder how many of those happily cheering folks that day were lost or fled when the bastard Russians invaded two years later.

Cheers, will look that up. Years later, Ferenc Puskas was running a modest little café in Budapest. I remember reading the interview with him. Some time in the eighties, I think. Not bitter at all, just philosophical.

Cheers, will look that up. Years later, Ferenc Puskas was running a modest little café in Budapest. I remember reading the interview with him. Some time in the eighties, I think. Not bitter at all, just philosophical.
He went back home before the fall of the Iron Curtain? Anyway, back to England v. Hungary at Wembley, think that was when the Hungarian players presented each of the England team with bouquets of flowers before the start. Must have made the likes of Billy Wright wonder what these foreign softies were all about.

I would probably say the greatest game off all time Is probably Barcelona vs PSG in 2017. Simply because nobody expected Barcelona to come back from losing 4-0 and they managed to pull off the greatest comeback you have ever seen (Along with Sheffield Wednesdays remarkable feat against Peterborough).

What made it even more dramatic was the scored right at the very last kick off the game. PSG should never have lost that round. The final score was 6-5 on aggregate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.