Grenfell Tower block disaster

Last edited:
Yes, i think Rydon ( The Principal Contractor) and KCTMO (The Client) will be held to account.

The CDM regs insist on risk assessments and method statements for all construction tasks irrespective of who does them does it not ?
If so these will have been signed and filed and available.
Will the inspections of these method statements have been done by HSE or local council ?

A drive to make high rise accommodation energy efficient and reduce CO2 emissions for the cheapest price is the reason for this crisis. Nothing to do with gentrification.
Similar to the reason for the dash for diesel cars. Both had unforseen consequences.

The CDM regs insist on risk assessments and method statements for all construction tasks irrespective of who does them does it not ?
Will the inspections of these method statements have been done by HSE or local council ?
No physical material safety assessments during construction any more. It's all self assesment with the assesment docs being checked over by the local council.
The self assesments are mosrly subcontracted out - except by the very big boys who run it as a separate operation. Many councils subcontract the self assesment validtion work - often to the same companies. All it needs is a confusing standard or omissions from materials data sheet and we're all in trouble.

3 stages:
- Design and Planning
- Self Assesment that all the boxes are ticked
- Assesment Validation

Supposedly safer but garbage in garbage out applies. Common sense gets lost.

Last edited:
No physical material safety assessments during construction any more. It's all self assesment with the assesment docs being checked over by the local council.
The self assesments are mosrly subcontracted out - except by the very big boys who run it as a separate operation. Many councils subcontract the self assesment validtion work - often to the same companies. All it needs is a confusing standard or omissions from materials data sheet and we're all in trouble.
3 stages:
Design and Planning
Self Assesment
Assesment Validation

Thanks my friend, I am very much out of date I´m afraid so the original good idea has been diluted so that unaccountability can be allowed for the apprentice politicians in the town halls. Pardon my cynicism.

Thanks my friend, I am very much out of date I´m afraid so the original good idea has been diluted so that unaccountability can be allowed for the apprentice politicians in the town halls. Pardon my cynicism.
You're not wrong. A close friend did this for a living till he retired 2 years ago. He has been expecting something like this for a while. That's what box ticking exercises do. They're supposed to lower the risk but in my experience they often just hide it.

Last edited:
You're not wrong. A close friend did this for a living till he retired 2 years ago. He has been expecting something like this for a while. That's what box ticking exercises do. They're supposed to lower the risk but in my experience they just hide it.
Are the HSE involved in this disaster, because if they are, they will leave no stone unturned and they will go after many organisations? Could we be looking at corporate manslaughter charges for the directors of some of these companies?

You're not wrong. A close friend did this for a living till he retired 2 years ago. He has been expecting something like this for a while. That's what box ticking exercises do. They're supposed to lower the risk but in my experience they often just hide it.

If this had been refurbishment of a non council owned tower block would the CDM be HSE controlled or is the local council still the ones who do the safety checks ?

So many risk assessments delivered by different bodies. My friend tells me construction delivery is generally HSE. Construction materials, building reg compliance and fire safety regs is generally council.
I delivered a software project for site safety inspections using mobile phones to take pics a couple of years ago. The legal requirement list was massive.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.