Greta Thunberg

The wind that pushed the boat was free.

I think people attacking the messenger instead of tackling the message that is being highlighted is pretty much the corporate ploy that we see constantly.

And no I’m not one that believes the planet will die anytime soon, but we are overpopulated now and anyone who denies we are not in the midst of global warming whether it is cyclical or purely man made has their own motivation for putting that message out.

Making a villain out of a young girl with a message is not the way to tackle the message either.
There is s problem. Anything that focuses government minds for altruistic or non altruistic reasons, is not a bad thing IMO.
The girl is a puppet used for publicity. The boat carries a diesel generator to recharge it's batteries when there isn't enough solar power. Only one boat attempted the vendee globe on renewables last time and it retired.

The problem I have with the "we've got to put it in proportion" argument is that it's only emerged since the same people's previous position has become publicly untenable. Basically we've had 10-20 years of one side losing the argument and shifting the goal posts. First is was that the planet isn't warming. Then when it became widely accepted that it was, it was that humans weren't causing it and it was just a natural part of the cycles of warming and cooling. And then when it became widely accepted that humans are responsible, it was that yeah sure global warming is man made, but the negative effects are being exaggerated. It sounds like progress, I guess, but the implication of every one of these arguments, however, is that we have to be sceptical about people trying to work to protect the environment. Hence the fairly constant personal attacks on any individual trying to use their profile to raise awareness of particular issues too.
You make a reasoned and reasonable argument, but my word if you want personal attacks, look at what the people who are skeptical about global warming or its severity have to put up with!!!

Voices saying we need to keep a sense of proportion even, are shouted down and hurled abuse at. There's barely a scientist who dares say such s word for fear of attack.

Science - proper science - is about data, evidence and cool, calm debate. Not this, which has becone a political farce.

Last edited:
I work in the industry that makes this "eco friendly" yacht that she's sailed on. I know the resources and energy needed to get from raw material to finished product. It would have been much kinder to the planet if Greta and the crew would have chartered a private jet.
Everything these people do, every action, creates more of the problems they are so frantically telling us about.
It is the classic do as I say, not as I do, like a vegan telling us to avoid meat, through a mouthful of Big Mac.

Everything these people do, every action, creates more of the problems they are so frantically telling us about.
It is the classic do as I say, not as I do, like a vegan telling us to avoid meat, through a mouthful of Big Mac.
There was a takeaway in Bristol on the TV last night, with an article about their new tiffin boxes for the takeaways. You either buy one for £10 or get charged £10 for it which is credited when you bring it back.

The idea is to cut down on the amount of plastic waste - very admirable. But it left me wondering just how much CO2 is produced and how much environmental damage is done by making a reasonably complex steel box, as opposed to a bit of extruded plastic. The mining of the iron ore, shipping the iron ore, smelting, making the steel, fabricating the steel etc. Huge amounts of energy, CO2, and waste goes into making 1 metal tiffin box.

Clearly the metal tins are re-usable but just how many times do they have to get re-used before it's a "win"? And then they looked at alternative plastic boxes, made from fully biodegradable plastic made from vegetables! Which I would imagine are a million times better, and yet the dungaree wearers were all there in force with their precious tins.

There was a takeaway in Bristol on the TV last night, with an article about their new tiffin boxes for the takeaways. You either buy one for £10 or get charged £10 for it which is credited when you bring it back.

The idea is to cut down on the amount of plastic waste - very admirable. But it left me wondering just how much CO2 is produced and how much environmental damage is done by making a reasonably complex steel box, as opposed to a bit of extruded plastic. The mining of the iron ore, shipping the iron ore, smelting, making the steel, fabricating the steel etc. Huge amounts of energy, CO2, and waste goes into making 1 metal tiffin box.

Clearly the metal tins are re-usable but just how many times do they have to get re-used before it's a "win"? And then they looked at alternative plastic boxes, made from fully biodegradable plastic made from vegetables! Which I would imagine are a million times better, and yet the dungaree wearers were all there in force with their precious tins.
There's definitely a calculation to be made. A plastic bag for life should be used between 4 and 11 times (depending on the type and which study you believe) to compensate for the extra energy needed to make it. For a cotton bag, it rises to over 7000 times. So it's probably better to use a plastic bag for life until it dies than invest in a cotton one (cotton is a particularly destructive industry too). But just looking at carbon impact isn't the entire story, because the main issue with plastic isn't the fact that it uses resources to make, it's that once it's made, it sticks around ruining the environment for a long time. With cotton, it has a terrible impact on fresh water supplies. The other issue with plastic is just the sheer volume of it that's completely unnecessary. The UK isn't actually too bad. Come to Asia and see the fucking mountain of pointless plastic given out every day. The number of times you'll buy a single item and they'll put it in a bag for you without asking. When I lived in Vietnam, they'd even put a bonus straw in it for you just in case you'd forgotten how to tip a bottle up. My favourite one in Malaysia is that they've just implemented a plastic bag charge, but if you opt to not take a bag, they'll put a little bit of plastic tape with "paid" written on it on every item you've bought. Genius.

It is amazing the amount that industry got on board with environmentalism as soon as they figured out ways they can use it to sell more pointless shit to people, when the actual solution is probably to reduce consumption. That's why leadership should be coming from the government, not individuals who really don't have much power to do anything. It's easy to tell people to choose the loose veg over the plastic-wrapped shit, but you can't expect a poor family to make that 'choice' when the loose stuff costs 50% more. And the only reason it costs 50% more is because the price of getting rid of the packaging isn't being factored into the cost of the product. If it was, Tesco would find an alternative within a month. You've got to put the responsibility on the people with the power to do something about it, but as usual, it's all the responsibility of the individual under the guise of 'choice.' And what I would say about Greta Thunberg is that at least she's not lecturing people to wash out their yoghurt pots and put them into a recycling bin, she's encouraging everyone to pressure the people who can actually do something about it.

The boat thing is obviously a publicity stunt, but we all know that if she'd flown, everyone would be calling her a hypocrite. People who disagree with her message will look for any excuse to come up with a gotcha moment. We had on this very thread the 'gotcha' that the boat has a diesel generator on board, despite this being a legal safety requirement that was never even used. You might as well complain about the materials used to make the life jackets. And this is my issue. It's the disingenuous nature of the debate surrounding this topic. There's very little addressing the arguments made and a lot of looking for excuses as to why you (not you personally) don't have to address the arguments made. If we can dismiss the messenger, we can ignore the message. It's pretty common in all areas of politics nowadays, I think.

The problem I have with the "we've got to put it in proportion" argument is that it's only emerged since the same people's previous position has become publicly untenable. Basically we've had 10-20 years of one side losing the argument and shifting the goal posts. First is was that the planet isn't warming. Then when it became widely accepted that it was, it was that humans weren't causing it and it was just a natural part of the cycles of warming and cooling. And then when it became widely accepted that humans are responsible, it was that yeah sure global warming is man made, but the negative effects are being exaggerated. It sounds like progress, I guess, but the implication of every one of these arguments, however, is that we have to be sceptical about people trying to work to protect the environment. Hence the fairly constant personal attacks on any individual trying to use their profile to raise awareness of particular issues too.
Al Gore was attacked.
Greta is attacked.

Just tackle the argument and don't shoot the messenger.

The girl is a puppet used for publicity. The boat carries a diesel generator to recharge it's batteries when there isn't enough solar power. Only one boat attempted the vendee globe on renewables last time and it retired.

Yes and I think you're missing the point.
We are all consumers. We consume. It's a problem. Let's focus minds on doing something about the problem.

This figure of 97% of scientists that people like to quote. Have you looked into how that was arrived at?
Science isn't democratic. It doesn't arrive at it's conclusions by consensus.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.