Greta Thunberg

We are over due a mulitinational war we normally have one withing the first 20 years of a new century.

But then mostly it was europeans fighting each other, maybe after brexit we can start one, keep up tradition like
One is coming. I can feel it. The world is getting more polarised and more nasty. There are three superpowers emerging (although we’ve decided to become a minnow) and in the western world the violent idiots who start wars are becoming a majority due to uncontrolled breeding and poor parenting.

Unfortunately this one will kill more than any of the others. People will look upon the time that we all grew up in as the golden age, because people were so shocked by WW2 that they became largely sensible for a few generations. That’s gone now. I’m scared for the world my children will grow up in.

One is coming. I can feel it. The world is getting more polarised and more nasty. There are three superpowers emerging (although we’ve decided to become a minnow) and in the western world the violent idiots who start wars are becoming a majority due to uncontrolled breeding and poor parenting.

Unfortunately this one will kill more than any of the others. People will look upon the time that we all grew up in as the golden age, because people were so shocked by WW2 that they became largely sensible for a few generations. That’s gone now. I’m scared for the world my children will grow up in.

I think you should sleep easy. There's no appetite amonst any of the nuclear powers for any sort of nuclear conflict, since they know full well what the terrible consequences would be. Nor for any conflict between each other, because of the nuclear possibilities. And I might add, little or no appetite for sending in troops on the ground either.

I think the biggest threat right now is from terrorists.

I think you should sleep easy. There's no appetite amonst any of the nuclear powers for any sort of nuclear conflict, since they know full well what the terrible consequences would be. Nor for any conflict between each other, because of the nuclear possibilities. And I might add, little or no appetite for sending in troops on the ground either.

I think the biggest threat right now is from terrorists.

That's part of my concern, mate. Fundamentalists could kick-start a world war.

I've believed in the power of Mutually Assured Destruction all of my life, even in the cold war. But I believed in a lot of things which have proved not to be permanent, and I've lost faith in the over-riding decency of humanity. Trump and Brexit have destroyed it.

I've believed in the power of Mutually Assured Destruction all of my life, even in the cold war. But I believed in a lot of things which have proved not to be permanent, and I've lost faith in the over-riding decency of humanity. Trump and Brexit have destroyed it.

I will always have a spare tin of spam for you mucker.

It's very unlikely that the western, or indeed eastern powers will instigate nuclear confrontation. There are more than three countries with the weapons to obliterate each other and vast areas of the world, even idiots like Kim Jong-un and Trump know (or are advised of) this, despite the sabre-rattling and dick measuring.

There have been numerous proxy wars for decades, none thankfully, resulting in nuclear exchange. It's about power projection and demonstrating the political will to each other and potential miscreants, either to buy time, force negotiations or deter nuclear lunacy.

Climate change is by far the greatest current threat to us all. Unfortunately unless the majority changes its consumer habits, reduces pollution and the degradation of habitats it will reach a tipping point from which a global catastrophe will be difficult to avoid. Action needs to happen now, any raising of awareness such as through Greta Thunberg, Extinction Rebellion, Greenpeace, etc is urgently needed. There has to be a huge paradigm shift in how we use resources.

I can't see it. I mean look at the diametrically opposed views the US and Russia had about Syria, with each backing opposing sides. Nevertheless, they were both super careful not to do anything which would overtly antagonise the other, because of the very real concerns I expressed above.

China is not nor has ever been territorial, so I don't see them as being a threat either. Pakistan and India could blow themselves up, but honestly everyone else would likely just stand back and watch. And terrorists don't have and will likely never have access to nuclear weapons. I think future conflicts are very likely indeed to be contained as local spats affecting only those directly involved.

There's no appetite amonst any of the nuclear powers for any sort of nuclear conflict, since they know full well what the terrible consequences would be.

Plus, last time there was a big problem, it all got sorted out eventually.

CanPIsU.png

Citation needed as I think you made that up.

This is from NASA:

giss_temperature.png

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/GlobalWarming/page2.php
Doesn’t look like it’s slowing down in the last 30 years.

20 years. My error. I meant to type 20 years. Since 2000.

Yes, other greenhouse gasses such as methane.

Citation again needed for your assertion that the correlation between greenhouse gasses and global warming being ‘flimsy’.

Didn't say the correlation btw greenhouse gases and global warming was flimsy. I said the co-relation btw Co2 emission levels and the corresponding warning was flimsy. Big difference.

Do we know that by speeding our car on the wrong side of a bend we’ll crash? Not for sure. Should we do something about reducing that risk? Probably.

Should we wait until it’s too late and several billion people die? Probably not.
Not a great analogy as there aren't conflating information regarding speeding on the wrong side

Which ‘scientist’ are you referring to?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.