Greta Thunberg

Well yeah use whatever word you want I guess, it's their fault.

It is, I agree.

And 'greed' is probably only fair in recent years, as science catches up. I certainly think that governments have dragged their feet over getting involved in some areas of environmental protection (or "green crap" as Call Me Dave put it)

There are some things which on the face of it look odd - a plastic tray of food is often recyclable, but black trays aren't, and the film lid is hardly ever recyclable. I've not seen an explanation of why there isn't a recyclable film alternative.
And there isn't really a national recycling scheme, it's down to local authorities, which must work out more expensive.

Anyway, none of that is anything to do with Thunberg and the significant effect on the profile of this subject that she has caused.

I think she's helped to generate debate but she hasn't attacked the hypocrisy that climate change has become. She is more interested nowadays in attacking Trump because it's fashionable.

The problem with climate change is the important changes aren't happening and in the mainstream it has just become a fashion accessory.

People are becoming vegan for example but they probably have no idea if that vegan food was mass produced in a factory that is adding tons of CO2 to the atmosphere....

It's fine to scream at politicians to do something but we will only get somewhere if people start examining their own behaviour. Ironically that is something that many people who support XR just refuse to do.
Good post, there is plenty of shouting about climate change, as it is used as some form of moral superiority, actually getting
Greta, and others, to outline exactly how we solve it, is met with the response that it has to be world leaders and corporations
who take on the mantle. If these same world leaders then said OK, no more fossil fuels, no nuclear, no industrial production,
no smart phones, no TV, etc; it would certainly solve it, but at the cost of mass poverty and starvation.
The crackpots at Extinction Rebellion want it all done by 2025 FFS.

Good post, there is plenty of shouting about climate change, as it is used as some form of moral superiority, actually getting
Greta, and others, to outline exactly how we solve it, is met with the response that it has to be world leaders and corporations
who take on the mantle. If these same world leaders then said OK, no more fossil fuels, no nuclear, no industrial production,
no smart phones, no TV, etc
; it would certainly solve it, but at the cost of mass poverty and starvation.
The crackpots at Extinction Rebellion want it all done by 2025 FFS.

Does the 'etc' include bikes, unpowered and powered? If so, they can all fuck off with their, what was it, 'green crap'? And would the Costa half way round the training run have to close? Seems we're getting a bit nearer a return to the Stone Age every day I wake up.

Does the 'etc' include bikes, unpowered and powered? If so, they can all fuck off with their, what was it, 'green crap'? And would the Costa half way round the training run have to close? Seems we're getting a bit nearer a return to the Stone Age every day I wake up.
Yep, here's the answer, start whittling the nearest stick ;)
bronze-age-people.jpg

Agree with the bulk of this but it is government and companies that have to examine their own behaviour as they are the ones implementing policy and manufacturing processes that are causing issues.

Taxing the man in the street and demanding they change is a band aid and nothing but another way of making money or emptying pockets.

Let's put it this way, if every meat company said you know what we are all going to shut to do our bit to reduce CO2.... Do you think the population would be clapping that decision in the streets?

What about if the government banned petrol/diesel and planes tomorrow? It would fix the problem overnight but my guess is those people protesting wouldn't be quite as happy.... No doubt they'd be protesting that the government can't do such a thing.

Basically if we want quick action then it means we can't drive around in our diesels/petrols/electrics, fly around the world, burn gas to heat our houses, eat meat etc and we certainly can't blame everyone else for our choices.

The technology doesn't exist and if people aren't willing to change then we shouldn't be surprised that the problem doesn't change either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.