Guardian interview with Guardiola

That's a truly brilliant interview.
Whilst Pep might be a Barca man, I’ve no doubt he can become a blue. Cruyff was an Ajax man that went to Barcelona and passed on his knowledge and philosophy of football. Pep idolised him and recognises that without him he wouldn’t have had the career he had, playing wise or managerial wise. His time at Bayern was a success but didn’t deliver CL glory and a club of Bayern’s size and stature makes that look a real disappointment. It cannot be argued that he made them an exciting team and improved them though. Three consecutive semi-finals is impressive and though they didn’t make it all the way they were a brilliant side.

He’s now got the opportunity to do with City, what Cruyff did with Barcelona. Barcelona have of course been a huge club for decades, but their first European success was under Cruyff in 1992. They won two more under Pep and now have won it 5 times. The style of play instilled in their academy has arguably led to Spain being the best team in the World between 2008-2012 and not many teams could get near them, they couldn’t get the ball for starters.

City remain on the start of their journey when you compare us to the likes of Barcelona. Our academy has been transformed and Pep can ensure it finally becomes a conveyor belt to our first team. He’s already improved individual players and our all round game in the little time we’ve had with him. He could be our Cruyff and in that regard I think there’s potential for him to develop a deeper love of our club than many might expect. He will never put himself on the same level as Cruyff and perhaps rightly so, but it’s early days in his managerial career and he’s already tried things that Cruyff hadn’t and he’s shown to be an incredible man manager and tactician in an age where often it’s one or the other. He puts his success down to Cruyff but potentially players like Raheem Sterling, John Stones, Aleix Garcia, Brahim Diaz could be saying in 20/30 years time the exact same thing about Pep. Let’s hope so.

City remain on the start of their journey when you compare us to the likes of Barcelona. Our academy has been transformed and Pep can ensure it finally becomes a conveyor belt to our first team. He’s already improved individual players and our all round game in the little time we’ve had with him. He could be our Cruyff and in that regard I think there’s potential for him to develop a deeper love of our club than many might expect.

Exactly.

"The best managers win lots of titles because we are at big clubs with big players. But it is about how they influence the new generation, how they influence their players."

No doubt in my mind the start Guardiola has made, we look far more ruthless now than under Pellegrini's reign and he is getting the best out of our top players that didn't perform last year (Sterling). His style of football is always gonna win over the fans. Last week at Spurs was a one-off hangover from that tough game at Celtic mid week.

Guardiola is discussed as one of the topics in this video, worth a watch!

58d8f25361e03e0bd8ad903965db33df.jpg

When I read about pep or Johan or even Wenger to a certain degree, I always end up thinking about how little they're thought of by the British press and general fan in this country.

Slur Alex and Jose Mourinho in general get lorded due to the amount they've won and rightly so in many respects but have any really changed the face of football or left a legacy that can be carried on at their clubs?

Man Utd fans surely must think that Slur Alex should really have left them in a position where when he eventually left that a new manager has the best platform possible to carry on that reign of success. Same can be said of Mourinho but I imagine ego has a huge part to play with the pair of them.

Pep when he eventually leaves us will leave behind a certain way of playing, a certain way of managing and a certain way of winning which will only assist whoever comes in after him and I believe that he'd probably see that as more of an achievement than actually lifting trophies.

Pep coming to England has probably opened they eyes of many a journalist and football supporter. To read about who influenced him and why is really interesting and a total pleasure.

Great article and a real insight into how the great ones leave a legacy that lives on. Hopefully we'll feel the same about Pep's reign for many years to come as he influences those that follow!

I can't help feeling giddy every time I read an interview with him.

Possession did fucking wonders for us last year, our high possession and keeping the ball away from the opposition was the only reason we finished in the top 4.

It's also not really a question of "I hope he's right", apart from Leicester, when was the last time a team who didn't play possession football won the league? At least a decade ago.

Then look at Italy, Spain, Germany and France and ask the same question.

Then look at the Champions League and ask the same question.

Chelsea won the Champions League 4 years ago playing negative shite with no possession against better sides, to be fair.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.