Gym tips

during dieting fazes i have tried cutting out carbs as a majority for a while.

But it got so tedious and unenjoyable when dieting for 3/4/5 months. I enjoy bread as much as the next guy so just ended up mentally tracking it when i ate it and deducted calories from another meal. Say it was oven fries to just sweet potato fries. I found that to be a more enjoyable way of doing things as still keeping in a diet but still enjoying bread ; )
Pretty much how I’ve always done it mate, I love bread ,the only thing that changed over the decades was the amount depending on which phase of training I was at (and age), and as a carb source when needed, nothing wrong with it ime (ignore Joe fuckin Rogan), the problem, like anything else, is too much bread, like too much of ANY carbohydrate (and too much saturated, Hydrogenated and Trans Fats and even healthy fats if you’re not careful).
If it fits in with your macros and training and you enjoy it, eat it imo/ime.

during dieting fazes i have tried cutting out carbs as a majority for a while.

But it got so tedious and unenjoyable when dieting for 3/4/5 months. I enjoy bread as much as the next guy so just ended up mentally tracking it when i ate it and deducted calories from another meal. Say it was oven fries to just sweet potato fries. I found that to be a more enjoyable way of doing things as still keeping in a diet but still enjoying bread ; )
It's really worth having a google about the science of our brains and our relationship with food. I've tried a few diets in the past and I've always yo yo'd back to where I was until I started 5:2 fasting this year.

I never thought I'd be able to do it but after a week it gets easier and now it's just routine. I'm 7lbs down on the year since starting in Jan so it does work and you don't feel bad because on your non-fast day you can eat whatever you want within reason. I could push to lose more faster if I moved a bit more but I'm stuck in a desk all day.

Low-carb diets are really hard to keep to because our bodies don't want to do it, it would be like going on a diet from water. We're all still cavemen at the end of the day, our brains are wired to behave like it doesn't know where the next meal is coming from. The problem is nowadays we all have a week's worth of food in the fridge and 24/7 access to takeaways so we just keep eating and hoarding calories.

Imagine if the cavemen back in the day didn't have to hunt or fight for food because they could just order it in. In that case they would down tools and stop hunting but then they'd get fat from doing nothing which is basically what's happening to us.

It's really worth having a google about the science of our brains and our relationship with food. I've tried a few diets in the past and I've always yo yo'd back to where I was until I started 5:2 fasting this year.

I never thought I'd be able to do it but after a week it gets easier and now it's just routine. I'm 7lbs down on the year since starting in Jan so it does work and you don't feel bad because on your non-fast day you can eat whatever you want within reason. I could push to lose more faster if I moved a bit more but I'm stuck in a desk all day.

Low-carb diets are really hard to keep to because our bodies don't want to do it, it would be like going on a diet from water. We're all still cavemen at the end of the day, our brains are wired to behave like it doesn't know where the next meal is coming from. The problem is nowadays we all have a week's worth of food in the fridge and 24/7 access to takeaways so we just keep eating and hoarding calories.

Imagine if the cavemen back in the day didn't have to hunt or fight for food because they could just order it in. In that case they would down tools and stop hunting but then they'd get fat from doing nothing which is basically what's happening to us.
Exactly this.

i have tried to implement the 80/20 split

80 % - whole foods
20 % - whatever you want

i find that to be such a nice balance in still feeling good about my eating and it not being a load of processed shite and also having a good amount of vitamins/nutrients from the whole foods.

Did my first lido swim of the year yesterday at Hathersage Outdoor Pool. Absolutely cracking facility which is heated, but not over--heated, making it ideal for length swimming.
To me it feels so much more pleasant swimming outdoors than being stuck in an indoor pool. And there's the added bonus of being able to air dry so much quicker afterwards than in a horrible humid leisure centre changing room.
Will definitely be returning there, and to Nantwich & the multiple lidos in London, in the coming months.

Did my first lido swim of the year yesterday at Hathersage Outdoor Pool. Absolutely cracking facility which is heated, but not over--heated, making it ideal for length swimming.
To me it feels so much more pleasant swimming outdoors than being stuck in an indoor pool. And there's the added bonus of being able to air dry so much quicker afterwards than in a horrible humid leisure centre changing room.
Will definitely be returning there, and to Nantwich & the multiple lidos in London, in the coming months.
Completely agree. Not a big fan of indoor pools as well.
I prefer working out at home then, following this guide for example https://betterme.world/articles/3-dаy-full-body-workout/. Those 3, 7, 30 days workouts usually are the most effective for me, as i got engaged and feel obligated to get up net morning and just work out.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.