Gym tips

Just to add a little to FI and 117, age is a ‘massive’ factor too, you can get away with heavy, low rep stuff for quite a long time in your younger days, however, there comes a point where joint health has to be a huge consideration as well as what you’re able to recover from (both physically and a CNS and PNS perspective).

That's very true,im still overtraining lol.

Just done some deadlifting this morning after a lay off from the movement.....wow,gonna feel them in the morning.

That's very true,im still overtraining lol.

Just done some deadlifting this morning after a lay off from the movement.....wow,gonna feel them in the morning.
Oh join the club mate :-D, it took me literally years to get there from training in my teens, 20s, 30s and even my 40s, 50s is a real big eye opener as for me the cumulative effect of spinal loading started to show far more then, 8-12 for compounds these days and 12-20 reps for most isolations, and only approach failure on the last set.

Oh join the club mate :-D, it took me literally years to get there from training in my teens, 20s, 30s and even my 40s, 50s is a real big eye opener as for me the cumulative effect of spinal loading started to show far more then, 8-12 for compounds these days and 12-20 reps for most isolations, and only approach failure on the last set.

50 has been a massive eye opener for me too (not just in the gym) aches and pains,stamina,strength,recovery etc. so yeah,that is great advice and something i am going to have to employ.

I'd still slap most of these young un's though ;-)

I'd still slap most of these young un's though ;-)
Ha me too mate, even now, one off’s I’d still beat most people in the gym, but it’s like the current situation with Kev, Kyle and Ilkay, it’s not so much what you can do, it’s what you can recover from.

Just as an aside mate as I know you have issues with your shoulders, if you haven’t read it already ( don’t want to teach my granny and all that ;-) ), but there’s quite a bit of literature with regards to ‘over head pressing’ after 50 and why not to do it, I still do, all forms of it in fact, but there’s definitely some credence to it given I can feel my right shoulder joint isn’t quite as tight as it was .

Ha me too mate, even now, one off’s I’d still beat most people in the gym, but it’s like the current situation with Kev, Kyle and Ilkay, it’s not so much what you can do, it’s what you can recover from.

Just as an aside mate as I know you have issues with your shoulders, if you haven’t read it already ( don’t want to teach my granny and all that ;-) ), but there’s quite a bit of literature with regards to ‘over head pressing’ after 50 and why not to do it, I still do, all forms of it in fact, but there’s definitely some credence to it given I can feel my right shoulder joint isn’t quite as tight as it was .

Coincidentally,i stopped about 12 months ago.

Just wasn't feeling the move anymore and was also getting aches in lower back and surrounding areas......not worth it.

I just stick to incline chest movements now,and a few dip sets.

Cheers H.

Coincidentally,i stopped about 12 months ago.

Just wasn't feeling the move anymore and was also getting aches in lower back and surrounding areas......not worth it.

I just stick to incline chest movements now,and a few dip sets.

Cheers H.
What about decline chest press?

Fair enough mate, main benefits are less stress on back and shoulders

Give it a go by all means,i tried it at various stages years back and just didnt get on with the position or feel,and given i never had problems with chest development i just cracked on with the other exercises.

Who knows,it may well have saved my shoulder surgery had i persevered?? although i suspect that was more down to muscle imbalance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.