Had Howard Kendall stayed how far would City have gone?

Howard Kendall also cost us victory in the derby taking Reid off and putting Brightwell on inspired in the 3-3 draw

baildon blue said:
Howard Kendall also cost us victory in the derby taking Reid off and putting Brightwell on inspired in the 3-3 draw

And your point is....?

I still say had he stayed at Maine Road for a significant period of time we wouldn't have endured the heartaches we did at the back end of the decade.

baildon blue said:

Good memory there.....I was at that game and it felt like a defeat after being 3-1 up.

The red fuckers nearly won it 4-3 and all!

Blue Streak said:
baildon blue said:

And your point is....?

I still say had he stayed at Maine Road for a significant period of time we wouldn't have endured the heartaches we did at the back end of the decade.
I think Swales would have been better getting Joe Royle but he made a mess of that<br /><br />-- Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:09 pm --<br /><br />Remember his last 2 spells at Everton were rubbish and he loved Adrian Heath a shocking striker who never scored

Always thought that about Reidy he just couldn't continue the groundwork already laid by kendall and as said think just lacking another quality striker to go with Quinny think we were very nearly a carbon copy of his Everton team in the 80s who didn't do too bad was gutted when he left , never go back they say and he was bobbins in his second spell at Goodison.

Who knows how we'd have done. He'd only been at City a year and maybe the great start that we'd had before just he left could've turned out like many others before, and since... After all he did buy Adrian fucking Heath!?

But along with the relegations, the day he left was a real low point and kick in the Nads for us as a club and fans.

For the uninitiated the history section's account sums it up pretty well...

MCFCMANAGERS
HOWARD KENDALL

December 1989 – November 1990

City fans were stunned when Mel Machin was dismissed and replaced by Howard Kendall as rumours had circulated that Alex Ferguson was to be dismissed by United and replaced by Kendall. Some journalists suggested Swales had acted quickly to prevent the Reds from appointing a manager already known as one of Europe’s most successful managers. Clearly, this rumour looks ridiculous today, however in 1989 it did seem perfectly plausible.

Whatever the truth, it is clear that the appointment of the highly successful former Blackburn, Everton and Athletico Bilbao manager eased the pressure on chairman Peter Swales after supporters discontent at the dismissal of Machin and the totally miss-timed approach for Joe Royle that had immediately followed.

Kendall was the big name, successful manager everyone needed to raise morale and, hopefully, he would create a side capable of challenging for the first time in a decade. Despite the excitement supporters became frustrated with his transfer activity, especially when four extremely popular players - Ian Bishop, Trevor Morley, Neil McNab, and Andy Hinchcliffe – were sold and replaced by a series of former Evertonians - Alan Harper, Mark Ward, Peter Reid, Wayne Clarke, and Adrian Heath. Of those recruits only Peter Reid, and to a much lesser extent Mark Ward, proved popular.

The best signing of the period came in March 1990 when Kendall bought Niall Quinn from Arsenal. Quinn’s goals and all-round influence helped the Blues avoid relegation. Then in the summer of 1990 He purchased goalkeeper Tony Coton and another ex-Evertonian Neil Pointon, and the 1990-1 campaign started with only one defeat in the opening eleven games. By this time he was a popular City manager, especially as he had turned down the chance to manager England that summer.

Sadly, just as City's future seemed bright, Kendall walked out on the club to return to his first love Everton. Hate mail and cruel chants headed Kendall's way as supporters felt betrayed. Peter Swales was shocked and the atmosphere around Maine Road was particularly depressing. The new Everton manger even contemplated taking Peter Reid with him to Goodison but, wisely, decided against that move.

At Everton, Kendall struggled and was replaced by Mike Walker. He later managed Notts County, Sheffield United and even had a third spell at Goodison. Kendall should always be remembered as a great football manager, and a positive influence on City during 1989-90. As with McNeill in 1986, he was perhaps foolish to leave the Blues when he did as his City side probably would have evolved into a trophy winning team.

Pubteam Lomas said:
how soon is now said:
Have thought about this occasionally myself over the years and I feel we would have won the league under him as if you remember a the season when leeds won it who were no great shakes think palace and wednesday were top 5 also liverpool were in decline (still not recovered) and utd were still rebuilding so I think we may have won it at least once.

Totally agree.
I have always maintained we would've won the league under Kendall. We were solid throughout the team and while Mark Ward was not particularly popular with some supporters, he was typical of a team that worked hard and ground out results. Just felt we were a little short of a top quality goalscorer to take the pressure of Quinny, but I think Kendall was aware of that. Although he did baffle some supporters by continuously playing Adrian Heath over Clive Allen.

We were definitely going places under Kendal, I was crestfallen the night he left us but didn't hold it against him like some so called supporters. I remember that night the Rags were playing at Wrexham in the ECWC and the morons were singing all night about us which showed how much they were shitting it about our ascent to higher eschelons of Division one. His signings were always shrewd and with purpose, Mark Brennan, Heath, Quinny and to some fans who couldn't understand why, Coton and Ward who both proved the doubters wrong by replacing fans favourites but the inferior Dibble, Morley and Bishop respectively.

People talk about the influx of ex Everton players brought in under Kendall but they did a job. However, then some forget he signed Tony Coton who was the best keeper City had since Corrigan (although some would rightly put a case for Alex Williams). Mark Ward was a better player than people gave him credit for. Niall Quinn was a truely inspired signing.

He also made Lakey skipper and had complete and utter faith in him. Lakey himself describes Kendall as the best manager he worked under.

It was a 'dark night' that evening Kendall returned to Everton. Especially after he'd turned down the England job in the Summer.

Easy to reflect now lightly after all the recent glory, but for those of us who remember it clearly it's still a painful time.

Sky Blue said:
baildon blue said:

Good memory there.....I was at that game and it felt like a defeat after being 3-1 up.

The red fuckers nearly won it 4-3 and all!

A group of us in the Kippax were singing "It's gonna be 5-1 again" I went home grateful of a point.

I remember the day we signed Quinny thinking what the hell has he signed an Arsenal reserve player for and a not very good one at that, made his debut at home in a midweek game v Chelsea scored one got motm and never looked back ! Was it Kendall who switched White from the wing to striker or was that peter Reid remember Villa away when Whitey scored 4 !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.