Had Howard Kendall stayed how far would City have gone?

I think we would have done very well had Kendall stayed.

He was using the same formula that had obviously been very successful at Goodison and we were getting very good results. As someone has already said, it is highly unlikely he would have bought Curle and Phelan; Colin Hendry would probably have stayed and I doubt we would have used the 'hoof it up to Quinny' tactic that Reid and Ellis favoured.

Whether we would have won the league is a very good question. Arsenakl were very strong, as were Liverpool still, though the decline had started. I do think we would have got closer than the fifth place that Reid took us to .

Remember thinking this is it when he arrived, guaranteed to bring success.

Now I look back I think we were always going to end up where we did, no matter who we had as manager. There's something symbolic about Pleat dancing on our pitch that sent us into decline, just as there is in Dickov's sliding celebration that ended the decline and started our amazing ascent since.

Always thought he would take us to the top at the time given his track record.
However!
Met him a few years ago at a Sportmans diinner. He was guest speaker. To be honest I was embarrassed to be in the same room as the bloke. Too many years of the demon drink have taken its toll, literally talked shite. Swerved every question related to leaving City. Even the blue dippers there were embarrassed

He left Man City to go back and try to save the club he loved. I'm sure you would all have left Everton to save Manchester City.
He just does the sportsman dinner talks now he often does the rounds around the pubs in Liverpool.

At the time I was devastated when he left - we had the makings of a very good side - great mix of youth (White/Lake/Redmond etc..) and experience (Reid/Coton) - but his head was turned by Everton and that was that - further proof that he would've done well was borne out of the fact that we finished 5th twice with a relatively inexperienced manager - just think what may have happened had Kendall been there.....????

m7mcfc said:
Sky Blue said:
baildon blue said:
Howard Kendall also cost us victory in the derby taking Reid off and putting Brightwell on inspired in the 3-3 draw

Good memory there.....I was at that game and it felt like a defeat after being 3-1 up.

The red fuckers nearly won it 4-3 and all!

A group of us in the Kippax were singing "It's gonna be 5-1 again" I went home grateful of a point.
Colin Hendry scored one of the all time great City goals in that game, flicked the ball over the rag striker, went on a long run into the United half, played a one-two and slipped it effortlessly into the net.

how soon is now said:
Have thought about this occasionally myself over the years and I feel we would have won the league under him as if you remember a the season when leeds won it who were no great shakes think palace and wednesday were top 5 also liverpool were in decline (still not recovered) and utd were still rebuilding so I think we may have won it at least once.

With Adrian Heath and Alan Harper not a chance mate.

ifiwasarichfan said:
how soon is now said:
Have thought about this occasionally myself over the years and I feel we would have won the league under him as if you remember a the season when leeds won it who were no great shakes think palace and wednesday were top 5 also liverpool were in decline (still not recovered) and utd were still rebuilding so I think we may have won it at least once.

With Adrian Heath and Alan Harper not a chance mate.
Actually didn't mind Harper - bought in as sweeper and chipped in with the odd goal too - happy days eh!!??!!

Having been around long enough to live through far too many city managers, I can clearly remember coming home from work that night and the wife opening the door to tell me he'd gone. Like a lot of us at the time, I guess we had got used managers coming and going but I was really gutted when Kendal went as I really felt he had brought together a team that whilst may not have been a long term solution, had brought some pride back on the field and with a few new faces over the coming year we would have gone places, certainly a trophy was on the cards, if not the league title. One thing I couldn't forgive him for was selling Ian Bishop, when it reality he would have been the perfect ball playing midfielder we ended up needing.

If I remember correctly, not long after he went we were beating Salford 3-1 at Maine Road when they got two late goals for the draw and very nearly won it, and the scum in the Platt Lane taking the piss with their version of Bluemoon, a very bad day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.