Had Howard Kendall stayed how far would City have gone?

spacecadet said:
Mr Swales would have fucked it up.

this ... but first he would have improved the team further and we would not have had to endure the dour dire football of Peter Reid and Sam Ellis with their strange transfer record that once more saw us on the downward slippery slope.

Ill be honest i was very happy when swales put kendall in as manager it was swales best decision since appointing Tony Book and Billy Mcneill.But we would have been better getting Joe Royle remember Royle won the fa cup with Everton in 1995

Dodgy ankle said:
Having been around long enough to live through far too many city managers, I can clearly remember coming home from work that night and the wife opening the door to tell me he'd gone. Like a lot of us at the time, I guess we had got used managers coming and going but I was really gutted when Kendal went as I really felt he had brought together a team that whilst may not have been a long term solution, had brought some pride back on the field and with a few new faces over the coming year we would have gone places, certainly a trophy was on the cards, if not the league title. One thing I couldn't forgive him for was selling Ian Bishop, when it reality he would have been the perfect ball playing midfielder we ended up needing.

If I remember correctly, not long after he went we were beating Salford 3-1 at Maine Road when they got two late goals for the draw and very nearly won it, and the scum in the Platt Lane taking the piss with their version of Bluemoon, a very bad day.

A horrible day. But not as bad as when they beat us 3-2 after we were 2-0 up.

"Blue Moon, you started singing too soon
You won't be singing for long, now Howard Kendall has gone"

Then after the game they changed it to incorporate the line "You thought you'd beat us 3-1" somewhere.

had howard kendall stayed and stopped drinking how far would city have gone ?
great manager and was gutted when he left but dont think we would of won the league, dont think we ever shake the typical city tag without the millions we got now

He took us over when we were bottom and when he left in less than 12 months we were in the top 6. We would not have won the league but coming higher than 5th and maybe lifting a cup would have been a possibility. He would not have spent 5 million on Curle and Phelan (decent players but that much......I don't think so). One thing is certain we would not have had the 1993 onwards disastrous slide into Div 3. I know now we look back on the Div 3 days as a badge of honour but to be honest and as someone who was at York, Wycombe, Millwall, Luton, Chesterfield, Gillingham....it was an awful time. In short I wish he had stayed and I was shocked when he left.

Perhaps he would have kept Michael Hughes and not signed the speed merchant that was Rick Holden either. I think when you look at it Kendall did start building a really decent squad and Reid made some absolutely baffling and sub-standard signings (Fitzroy Simpson, Andy Hill etc...) to slowly take us on a downward slide.

Bizarrely, I remember to this day a line in Casualty at the time, when one character said to another; "Come up to Manchester with me, I hear Howard Kendall has really got Manchester City going places these days".

Being 12 at the time, I was amazed to hear 'Manchester City' being mentioned on a primetime national television drama series, hence why it's stuck with me.

was only 12 at the time and come home from school and a rag who was a bit older than me but knew i was mad blue told me he'd gone, i told him to do one, ran to the newsagents and there it was front page of the MUEN

i know he got a lot of shit for ex everton players but they bought a winning mentality ,heath and harper were part of the 87 title winning team and i liked mark ward, goalscoring midfielder cant really complain.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.