Handforth Parish Council

I’m not going to cast dispersions on a whole generation, because people are people whatever their age, but the “boomer” generation bred a lot of this type of person. Gammon is the term often used. They grew up in a booming post-war economy and were put on final salary pensions. They had the NHS on tap. They rode the property price explosions and are all now retired in dull, detached estate houses on avenues where they read their Daily Mail every day and get angrier and angrier at the younger generations who won’t allow them to call a paki a paki or a paddy a paddy. They can’t understand why the media is full of talentless queers and they reminisce bitter sweetly about a time when the summers were hot, the women stayed at home, you could leave your doors open and everybody was white, straight and wore pants and shirts in primary colours.

There’s no fool like an old fool and their arrogance and prejudice was baked into them in the 60s and 70s when the whole family sat around on a Saturday night to watch Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson after their meat and two veg and before they went off alone to tell dirty jokes with the other regulars down The Shepherds.
Great post. Thing with stereotypes is, they are usually based on truth.

I scrolled through the unedited video that was posted and caught John Smith discussing the youth/leisure centre and the need to sort it out in order that doesn't become a development plot for more housing, not because he though they should actually do something with it for its own sake as public servants. Typical boomers using the office to reinforce their own stale old ideas and self-interested nimbyism.

Wow DD what did we, the older generation, do to you? None of my friends have ever been like that. Personally I detested Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson.
I haven't got any bitter or twisted friends and I definitely do not recognise any one who fits the descriptions you generalise about there. Did you get out of the bed the wrong side of the bed this morning, sunshine? :-)

Honestly, maybe it's because I have so many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren plus a diverse extended family with quite a few ethnicities spread among us, or just because the generations in my family blend into each other, for example my youngest brother is only 1 year older than my eldest child, but we evolve with the generations and the changes.

I personally paid a percentage of my salary compulsorily when I was working. Money I could have done with at the time as I was a single mother with 4 children and there was no maintenance coming from their father. (Won't even go there, that I could be bitter about but not in my nature.) So I feel that I am entitled to the pension I receive and worked hard for. Sorry.

Lighten up lovely, lighten up. :-) I've always respected you as a contributor on here and am astonished at your vitriol here.
Stay safe, take care.

I’m not going to cast dispersions on a whole generation, because people are people whatever their age, but the “boomer” generation bred a lot of this type of person. Gammon is the term often used. They grew up in a booming post-war economy and were put on final salary pensions. They had the NHS on tap. They rode the property price explosions and are all now retired in dull, detached estate houses on avenues where they read their Daily Mail every day and get angrier and angrier at the younger generations who won’t allow them to call a paki a paki or a paddy a paddy. They can’t understand why the media is full of talentless queers and they reminisce bitter sweetly about a time when the summers were hot, the women stayed at home, you could leave your doors open and everybody was white, straight and wore pants and shirts in primary colours.

There’s no fool like an old fool and their arrogance and prejudice was baked into them in the 60s and 70s when the whole family sat around on a Saturday night to watch Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson after their meat and two veg and before they went off alone to tell dirty jokes with the other regulars down The Shepherds.
but it's ok for you to be stereotypical, rude and patronising about them? Funny how these things only seem to work one way these days.

I scrolled through the unedited video that was posted and caught John Smith discussing the youth/leisure centre and the need to sort it out in order that doesn't become a development plot for more housing, not because he though they should actually do something with it for its own sake as public servants. Typical boomers using the office to reinforce their own stale old ideas and self-interested nimbyism.

It is a parish council, they have little or no influence over planning or any other council matters. They just get to spend their tiny budget, and is most cases although parish councillors are elected, there are a lot for a small village and often unopposed.

There are two types of parish clark as well, one is more admin the other type can decide what goes on the agenda so is basically in charge.

They are just social events for people with nothing to do.

Bloody hell don't hold back lol!! Actually I think the most aggressive one was the younger one, hard to guess his age in that poor connection but mid forties?

I haven't thankfully encountered too many of these jobsworths on a personal level but they do seem to pour out of a particular mould.

I have despaired of democracy for some time, and this is a sort of documentary as to why.

IMO the country would be much better off it was run by technocrats, chosen on merit. Far more would get done and vast amounts of time and money spent to allow clueless nonentities to speak bollocks at one another would be saved.

I know this will not be a popular opinion, but that's how I feel.

If you want a working example,look at City. It used to be run by a random collection of tin-pot "businessmen" from South Manchester and Cheshire. Now it's run by people who have a scooby about what they are doing. Have you noticed a difference?

I gave up at 7 1/2 minutes. At what point does something happen?
I think you may have blinked and missed it.

I didn't watch the whole thing (sorry, just not happening) but I did skip ahead just to see if they actually discussed anything Parish related but I must have blinked myself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.