Hands up if you've played on the Etihad hallowed turf

Yes a couple of times as well as in the academy and the ladies stadium
The pitch is massive
That Kolarov ping can’t be done by amateurs I’m afraid

Back in the late 90s, when my mates and I tried to outdo each other with japes, wind-ups, etc, I entered a competition promoted by Coca Cola to play at a "Top football stadium".

The choices (if I won) included the San Siro, Paris, and others throughout Europe that I can barely recall.

Unbeknown to me, a mate worked for a promotions company running the competition for Coca Cola, and fixed it that I won, but in the "under 11s" age group. His take being I'd look like Rodney in the Groovy Gang (one for the older viewers).

I pitched up in May 2004 and thankfully, the confusion as to which match I was playing in, with fellow winners, was quickly cleared up, and I got to captain a Mixed Bag of varying talented/talentless footballers from all over Europe in an entertaining 8-4 defeat.

Incidentally, I wore screw in studs that day, and "lost" 4 or 5 somewhere in the pitch - despite being told that only moulded studs were acceptable, and a few days later, Gary Neville suffered a particularly bloodied knee injury from simply hitting the deck when playing for England in a friendly. I maintain to this day that a screw from one of my studs injured him so I did my bit at the time.

Anyone else been lucky enough to play there, or, were in either team that day?
You didn't say where your game took place at?

Whatever happened to football aid? Was too young (with not enough money..) to be able to do it when it was on regularly. I think City stopped doing it too at some point.
I did the Football Aid thing at Maine Road in 2002 the day after we won the first division. Gary Owen was our team manager - turned up late worse for wear after the club celebrations at the Midland Hotel ( G.O. that is, not me!). Managed to dispossess Ian Cheeseman and scored from 20 yards at the Platt Lane end.
Got my top signed by G.O. and Peter Barnes who was away team manager, and have it framed pride of place at home.
Great day

I did the Football Aid thing at Maine Road in 2002 the day after we won the first division. Gary Owen was our team manager - turned up late worse for wear after the club celebrations at the Midland Hotel ( G.O. that is, not me!). Managed to dispossess Ian Cheeseman and scored from 20 yards at the Platt Lane end.
Got my top signed by G.O. and Peter Barnes who was away team manager, and have it framed pride of place at home.
Great day
Mike Doyle was our manager for one game
I asked him if he'd reenact his famous plane rant by chucking a newspaper down and shouting "I hate those red twats"
He burst out laughing

Without going in to the how and why...

As a young teenager, I spent a couple hours on the Maine Road pitch by myself and my football.

It was around 11pm at night and pitch black. I hadn't broken in, I was okay to be there and was indulged, let's say.

Covered every blade of grass, did pretend goal celebrations, ran towards the Kippax with my arms aloft, smashed the ball into an empty net about 300 times.

Lay in the centre circle looking up at the stars and just taking in the silence.

Until which time I got the shout from the directors' box it was time to go home and stop fucking up the pitch.

A dream come true and remember it like it was yesterday.
The real Jimmy Grimble? :)

Your best position was just the other side of the touchline around the half way at Hough End holding the plate of oranges :-)

I still haven't forgiven you for that day I went in goal for Eric Jackson's team which included Tony Gelman.

I came running out and you karate kicked the ball into the net.

I wasn't wanting any piece of that, or would have been disemboweled!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.