Happy 50th birthday to Paul Lake....

No that was a home game. One we should have comfortably beaten them in as well but we missed a shed load of chances
Apologies Wally, I got it wrong for some reason I could have sworn he played in the colour clash game but I must have dreamt it cos he was injured at the time, otherwise he gets 100+ England caps and we would have beaten the germans in turin.

Legend, hero, talisman. Lakey fits all those words perfectly.

The sky was the limit for him and I honestly don’t think, he’d have played for any other club, apart from us. It’s such a shame that a glittering career, was very sadly cut short. He needs a statue outside the academy.

Happy birthday Paul.

I suppose it's time to stop hoping he's coming back ;) . Was anyone else at the Blackburn training ground at a game arranged to help his comeback ? One of our finest players and top pundit.

Last edited:
At the time he was the best City player I had seen since Colin Bell, I remember when there was a colour clash and we wore our away shirt(maroon I think) in the home game versus spurs, he had such a top game that Gascoigne resorted to trying to wind him up at any opportunity by constantly making fun of Lakey's ears, certainly worked a treat for us as we beat them in a great game.
1-1 ?

Legend, hero, talisman. Lakey fits all those words perfectly.

The sky was the limit for him and I honestly don’t think, he’d have played for any other club, apart from us. It’s such a shame that a glittering career, was very sadly cut short. He needs a statue outside the academy.

Happy birthday Paul.
His birthday is in October.

At the time he was the best City player I had seen since Colin Bell, I remember when there was a colour clash and we wore our away shirt(maroon I think) in the home game versus spurs, he had such a top game that Gascoigne resorted to trying to wind him up at any opportunity by constantly making fun of Lakey's ears, certainly worked a treat for us as we beat them in a great game.
We won that game 2-1 with goals from Redmond and Ward (pen). Lakey didn’t play in that game, but I do remember Gazza winding him up, I think it was either the 1-1 draw at home in our first season after promotion or when we played them away on the first game of the 90/91 season, in which Lakey captained the team.

When you see a player like Michael Johnson toss his career away and then look at what happened to Lakey it is the perfect example of life being unfair at times , actually think if Lakey had fulfilled his potential he would have gone to a bigger club , our best players were always being cherry picked at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.