Happy 80th Birthday Alan Oakes

Mr.Dependable throughout his career at City,love the fact he scored a goal every 20 games.

We certainly must have been. Had to stop the coach on a road over the moors coming back home so we could all pee in a field.
Luxury! We used to have to piss out of the (half open) sliding door on the coach.

The fear was that the driver (Paddy McGee) would step on the brakes hard and catch you by surprise!

We certainly must have been. Had to stop the coach on a road over the moors coming back home so we could all pee in a field.
Reminds me of a time pre coach toilet, we were on our way to an away game and had spent the morning in a boozer having breakfast and several pints. On the motorway we were held up by an accident and traffic was at a standstill. Everyone on the coach was bursting for a pee. After pleading with the driver and threatening him with untold pain he reluctantly edged his way onto the hard-shoulder and suggested we all use the coach as shield. With 20 odd full bladders emptying happily against the coach, the driver got his revenge by suddenly driving away along the hard shoulder revealing us all in full flow facing the standing traffic ! Much to the amusement of all the static on lookers ! Happy days

Very, very underrated player. The Bell/Lee/Summerbee trio got all the praise in that era, but Oakesy was a very cultured player. You don't play nearly 700 games for the club if you don't know your way around a pitch. Happy birthday Alan, here's to many more of them.
Yes. One of my favourite players from that era. Mr. Reliable was always jonny on the spot, the predecessor to Gazbaz. Cousin of Glyn Pardoe, iirc.
Happy birthday Alan.

Knew it was Harry Dowd and Ken Mulhearn and on checking Big Joe was in the squad. Well remembered I thought he had joined later.
P.S. Happy Birthday Alan.
There was some debate about the cup final in 69. (or some other big game. My memory not great now.) A few speculated that young Joe might oust Dowd. Mal replied, no chance.
Edit PS. Just looked it up. Joe was no.2 to Dowd in 68-69 and took over the following season.

Last edited:
Belated happy birthday to my namesake and someone I know fairly well as his older brother is one of my best mates.
Yes my home town of Winsford had two remarkable talents with these cousins Oakes & Pardoe.
At the time Alan had two other great players in the England squad to get into that no 6 role ... Bobby Moore and Norman Hunter.

Belated happy birthday to my namesake and someone I know fairly well as his older brother is one of my best mates.
Yes my home town of Winsford had two remarkable talents with these cousins Oakes & Pardoe.
At the time Alan had two other great players in the England squad to get into that no 6 role ... Bobby Moore and Norman Hunter.
The debate in Northwich still goes on about who was the town’s best product Alan or Alan Haspell (I know Alan and Glynn were Winsford lads).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.