Happy 80th Birthday Rodders!

The amount of fans who wanted to get into the Chelsea game when he made his debut was crazy, struggled to get into the open bit between the NS & Kippax, just a solid wall of people.

Happy birthday Rodders, always smiled at that little buckle on your shorts.
Was at that game too, in the North Stand, where my mates and I had temporarily relocated, and immediately fell in love with him (as a player, of course!). Recall seeing a young lad and his dad wearing QPR scarves in the queue to the turnstile, obviously big enough fans of his to travel up from London. What a great showman he was: my enduring memory of him is him nutmegging Gordon Taylor twice following a corner in a game v Birmingham: he did it simply to show he could! Heard him on a few podcasts in recent years and it’s clear he still has a love for City. Happy birthday Rodney!

He lives in Tampa and evacuated for the hurricane. His granddaughter was posting updates on his X account yesterday.

He says he’s back home now.

True story i worked at Bukta sports wear in Stockport Tampa sent this over to Bukta as a sample as they wanted a new supplier, export boss knew i was a city fan and gave it to me ,sent this to Rodney on twitter he loved it ,this is around 1982 when i had hair.IMG_20241011_200451.jpg

Was at that game too, in the North Stand, where my mates and I had temporarily relocated, and immediately fell in love with him (as a player, of course!). Recall seeing a young lad and his dad wearing QPR scarves in the queue to the turnstile, obviously big enough fans of his to travel up from London. What a great showman he was: my enduring memory of him is him nutmegging Gordon Taylor twice following a corner in a game v Birmingham: he did it simply to show he could! Heard him on a few podcasts in recent years and it’s clear he still has a love for City. Happy birthday Rodney!
Yep 15 year old me in middle pen of North Stand that day.. Was a great day despite the draw, 53,000 swaying around, then aboutv58,000 when we beat Derby a few weeks after. Really felt like we'd hit the big time and he was absolutely idolised by our age group at school. Cant overstate that. Think it was the older ones who raised question narks against him. Did things I'd never seen with the ball . Was near hysteria when he produced an audacious flick or chip over the keeper.Never seemed to smash it.
Was too young to judge his team effectiveness but absolute box office.

Thanks for sharing as I had that memory of Rodney nutmegging Taylor twice but could barely believe it - that was my 3rd game

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.