Happy 90th Birthday Skip

Stunning photo that. The amount of times I used to look at that longing to see success in my lifetime but having to watch old highlights instead! Happy Birthday skip.

HappyBirthday Skip and here is to many more, a top bloke met a few times mainly in the carpark before games always had time for quick chat. Went to the AGM at Maine Road, held in the Kippax top floor restaurant, my mate and I were one of the last too leave, and had to got out by the main reception. Stan Gibson was working on the pitch and he directed us down the tunnel, we bumped into Skip who after a quick chat gave us a guide tour around the dressing room and back corridors. Top top man

A truly important figure in Manchester City (and football in general) history. Prior to Kompany our most decorated captain. He deserves to be celebrated over and over again, plus he's a nice man too. He's probably also had more spells as caretaker manager than anyone else and, if Pep leaves suddenly one day, I wouldn't bet against Tony being asked to fill the void again!

I've written a feature mostly on his managerial days with quotes from past interviews I've done with him if anyone is interested:

Happy birthday Skip!

My first City manager - I attended my first league game a couple of months before he and the team were cavortiung round Wembley with the League Cup after beating Newcastle - and still one of my favourites. A fantastic servant to the club in a number of roles, but not least with the reserves and youth teams in the 1980s.

If he and Glyn Pardoe hadn't brought through that fantastic crop of young players who won the FA Youth Cup in 1986, we could have disintegrated towards the end of that decade. As it was, several of those players featured in the 1989 promotion side when we couldn't have afforded to buy in decent players, and some brought in large fees that stabilised the club's finances.

Add that to his stint as captain of our most successful ever side before the modern era and his status as one of our seven trophy-winning managers (alongside Maley, Wild, Mercer, Mancini, Pellegrini and Guardiola) and it's an incredibly impressive City pedigree. Surely one of our greatest club servants of all. Happy birthday, Skip!

A truly important figure in Manchester City (and football in general) history. Prior to Kompany our most decorated captain. He deserves to be celebrated over and over again, plus he's a nice man too. He's probably also had more spells as caretaker manager than anyone else and, if Pep leaves suddenly one day, I wouldn't bet against Tony being asked to fill the void again!

I've written a feature mostly on his managerial days with quotes from past interviews I've done with him if anyone is interested:

Happy birthday Skip!

Good read as always that Gary.

Is there anywhere to view the footage of the parade after the '76 league cup win?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.