Harry Kane

He's just neither of those. He's a good creator who scores the odd goal and struggles to get minutes for England. His numbers last year of 6 goals 10 assists put him roughly equal with Danny Ings, Jack Harrison, Michail Antonio and Chris Wood for contributions. He's also less effective than either of the left wingers he will be inexplicably replacing, one of whom is probably the best player who'll ever come through our academy. We didn't need Grealish. We do need a striker.

*At Villa*

His ceiling at City is much, much higher.

Signing Grealish is the not the thing preventing us from signing Kane. The club want value and, as ever, won’t want to be perceived to be paying over the odds.

Khaldoon in particular is very sensitive of the optics. Now we can argue about whether that’s the right or wrong approach, but it’s a fact.

City have budgeted for Grealish and Kane, at a price they think is reasonable.

The only question now is whether our price and Spurs’ price can meet in the middle.

It’s got nothing to do with Jack Grealish.

Last edited:
The club should've have an alternative, if things doesn't go the direction they thought it should. And currently we do not have that. Simple logic actually.
Lots of players become available toward the end of the transfer window. Clubs begin the season poorly and realise they need new players but have to sell to do so and start putting up players for sale that they think they can afford to live without.

Kane wants out we keep hearing yet why the bloody hell did he sign such a long contract.
I was shocked when I read that, my thought than was he has given up any hope of winning anything. He wont get out of spurs easily what a numpty.

Still think the same ! Signing such a long contract was mad.
Plenty of players sign 5 and 6 year deals. When Kane signed that deal in 2018, Spurs were in much better shape than they are now but since reaching the CL final the following year Levy has proceeded to fuck things up royally by sacking Pochettino and appointing Mourinho.

I honestly don't know why people are making such a big deal about Kane signing that contract 3 years ago. He was happy then and he's not happy now. There's nothing unusual in that - the narrative changes all the time at football clubs up and down the country.

I think City are hoping Spurs will sell as the window gets closer but whether there is any prospect of that who knows.

Levy can do what he wants. Whether he is wise to turn down £100m plus for a 28 year old who wants to leave is their decision. I know what I would do and that gives me hope. I don't rate Levy and I can see now why they are struggling. They should have moved ages ago to get the best money for the player, and the best replacements. Now they will either leave it so late that they can't replace him, or they wont sell him at all and they will inherit a cloud over their club.
I agree Levy is more of a liability than an asset. The reluctance to negotiate a wantaway player will always affect them when it come to players agents. Agents will be looking for shorter contracts, higher cost contracts or breakpoints in the contracts to a fixed period or cost

He's just neither of those. He's a good creator who scores the odd goal and struggles to get minutes for England. His numbers last year of 6 goals 10 assists put him roughly equal with Danny Ings, Jack Harrison, Michail Antonio and Chris Wood for contributions. He's also less effective than either of the left wingers he will be inexplicably replacing, one of whom is probably the best player who'll ever come through our academy. We didn't need Grealish. We do need a striker.
Grealish’s long term position will be as an 8, and indeed that’s roughly where he was playing v Spurs, with Sterling on the left. In those 8 positions, with Foden largely being a winger himself, we had KDB and Gundogan, with Bernardo wanting out. And KDB and Gundogan are both in their 30s. So I can see how it would have become a problem position without investment, and it’s a lot easier to get Grealish out of Villa BEFORE they really start to climb the table. I think it’s a sound investment and the club still feel they can get Kane too. Our max price for Kane isn’t now lower after signing Grealish. It doesn’t change. We have our figure that represents value and it won’t change.

Kane wants out we keep hearing yet why the bloody hell did he sign such a long contract.
I was shocked when I read that, my thought than was he has given up any hope of winning anything. He wont get out of spurs easily what a numpty.

Still think the same ! Signing such a long contract was mad.

It’s what happens when you get your brother to pretend to be a sports agent instead of hiring an actual sports agent.

Grealish’s long term position will be as an 8, and indeed that’s roughly where he was playing v Spurs, with Sterling on the left. In those 8 positions, with Foden largely being a winger himself, we had KDB and Gundogan, with Bernardo wanting out. And KDB and Gundogan are both in their 30s. So I can see how it would have become a problem position without investment, and it’s a lot easier to get Grealish out of Villa BEFORE they really start to climb the table. I think it’s a sound investment and the club still feel they can get Kane too. Our max price for Kane isn’t now lower after signing Grealish. It doesn’t change. We have our figure that represents value and it won’t change.

Precisely.

I think Grealish is seen as the long-term replacement for Gundogan. In that context, the signing makes perfect sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.