Has anyone put their central heating on yet?

Probably about right as you are heating every radiator up,it should then work out cheaper for the next hour/s as you are only maintaining the temperature.
That is more cost effective than turning it on and off.
Bit of a common myth I'm afraid the cheapest way really is to only have the heating on when you need it, rather than for long periods.

Last edited:
The lad in the flat downstairs must have had his heating on high over the last four days or so because my flat has been warmer despite the colder weather so I’ve not had to put mine on as much.

There’s a concrete floor (ceiling for him) between us so I never thought the heat would get through like that but I have noticed it. While it’s very good for sound insulation (we barely hear much from each others’ flats) it doesn’t appear to be a particularly good heat insulator between the flats… but I’m not complaining since it benefits me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a common myth I'm afraid the cheapest way really is to only have the heating on when you need it, rather than for long periods.
Not sure on this a few years ago we tried both, obviously insulation plays a big part but we have ours on constant 24 hrs a day just to top up. From Mrs Moons health condition she needs the air 'warm' as shes always a big target for chest infections & colds.

We found it was cheaper being on all the time at 18.5 deg. Can't verify this with figures as it was a few years ago & luckily we've got a fixed rate which lasts until 10/23 so it's not costing us much at the moment.

Not sure on this a few years ago we tried both, obviously insulation plays a big part but we have ours on constant 24 hrs a day just to top up. From Mrs Moons health condition she needs the air 'warm' as shes always a big target for chest infections & colds.

We found it was cheaper being on all the time at 18.5 deg. Can't verify this with figures as it was a few years ago & luckily we've got a fixed rate which lasts until 10/23 so it's not costing us much at the moment.
Its general advice from the energy saving trust and it's what we pass on, but if leaving it on works for you I wouldn't argue.

The lad in the flat downstairs must have had his heating on high over the last four days or so because my flat has been warmer despite the colder weather so I’ve not had to put mine on as much.

There’s a concrete floor (ceiling for him) between us so I never thought the heat would get through like that but I have noticed it. While it’s very good for sound insulation (we barely hear much from each others’ flats) it doesn’t appear to be a particularly good heat insulator between the flats… but I’m not complaining since it benefits me!
We install a lot of in floor heat systems in our houses and concrete is the best material to use. Once the thermal mass has built up, it stays warm for a long time, could be perfect for you

1 lamp on in the bedroom.
1 fridge freezer on.
1 house alarm on.(could turn it off)
1 Internet hub on.
Plenty of warm clothes on.
Nothing else on.

Any heat generated in your flat will also move on upstairs though so it’s cancelled out

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.