Has club football killed international football ?

I'm old enough to remember feeling great anticipation as the home internationals began. Always looked forward to them, it being a change from the usual Division 1 stuff (as was).
Not now, even the younger generation seem to be totally disinterested in the exploits of their country when it comes to football. Like many, I watch the games because I love the sport - I even watch the odd Sunday morning kick about in the local park if one is taking place. I was a football-mad kid, and I haven't changed. I just love the game.
But watching Southgate's England is a chore: I have to remind myself that I'm a proud Englishman, that I should be getting behind my national side, cheering on the boys etc. But Waistcoat's idea of football is not my idea. Far from it.

As a boy I saved up my paper-round money and bought the 1970 England team's single, 'Back Home,' I can still remember the B-side, 'Cinnamon Stick' or something? I played it to death, sang along with it, pretended I was scoring the winner for my country in the World Cup final, all the usual stuff.
But if someone gave me tickets to watch the next England game I'd put them on eBay immediately.
You're correct about Cinnamon Stick, I was 11 at the time and Back Home was one of the first singles I bought. Cue about 10/12 years later I had a huge record collection complete with the cases for albums and singles but along with my Rock, Mod and Punk records Back Home was still there. Think it was released on Pye Records and the insert was a light colour with segments rather than a complete centre label (mind you 54 years later time can play tricks on the memory).

As an aside, my vinyl collection went in the attic as digital music came in, couple of house moves and they disappeared, no idea how but at the time they were really just tat as who would have thought Vinyl would make a comeback? Had some very collectible records including loads of picture disc punk singles.

Here's my take on international football.
'Oh Portugal are playing, come on Bernie, oh wait, that wanker Ronaldo, fuck them.'
I can't remember which match I was watching because it had a City player in the team but Mrs Mist asked why I was bothering as I'd slagged the diving scouse bastard, the crap (insert a.n. other prem team) and only watched it properly when the City lad was on the ball.

More international teams are getting boo's when not playing great.

This got me thinking do to many fans expect the national team to be as good as their club team ?

England will never be as good as say the top 4 in England. I would guess the same with other top international teams.

These top top players are playing way to many games per year now, it's going to affect them. The 'small' countries will naturally play these games so it sort of evens out the games.

Take Belgium KDB has Haaland up top at Belgium he has that lump Lukaku.

I watch England and sometimes I stay awake the whole 90 minutes but in my mind I'm watching a lower standard of football than the first two leagues in England. In my mind it's like going to watch margate fc but without the show ponies like bellend.

With to much football national team fans need to lower their expectations

Belgium national team is on a different planet to any of their club sides.

Nope.

For a start international football, especially the big tournaments, capture the interest of a much wider section of society than those that follow the day to day grind of club football.

Secondly, the quality of football is definitely lower than the top club competitions, but it's not actually really about the quality of football. Tournaments are about stories, drama, goals, moments, atmosphere etc.

These Euros are a much bigger event than any club competition. Just because England are boring to watch instead of City doesn't change that.

Aside Brazil, Argentina and some classic moments in World Cup/Euros history when has international football ever been a glamorous spectacle ? Some have some nostalgia that it was all so much fun and free flowing. it never was.

International teams dont gel like club football, players under different types of pressue and scrutiny than in their domestic leagues - they're playing with different team mates also. the whole vibe for a player is a compleyely different.

The lesser teams have the best attitude, i'm quite envious of watching the Scotland fans recently - they know they're shit, they have a party, they support their players 100% and just enjoy come what may. English fans are constantly moaning, obsessed about players for opposition clubs they don't like, obsessed about tactics and formations, if we win it's only because the other team are shit or we were lucky, it's rather depressing. I don't think football has lost its way, i think the fans have.

I have enjoyed most games apart from boring England, most teams go for it which is refreshing.

I would much prefer to watch England lose 4-3 than a boring 1-nil England win. To me I prefer watching a good game of football instead of a boring game.

Abit like the fa Cup final I could have taken the rags win if it had been a good game. But to play boring park the bus I fucking hate that. England are a park the team

Last edited:
A lot of international teams have sub-standard managers as top class managers want to be managing everyday and normally(With the exception of Southgate) the money is always better in club football
totally agree, in the past I think being an international manager was seen as the peak of a manager career, I go back to Clough when he was snubbed in the 1980's. Look at elite managers today I think prestige, financial rewards, recognition is all around club management.

Portugal and England have managers who'd struggle as championship managers based on their previous record.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.