Has the BBC become a Tory tool?

It has probably already been said but surely the fact that Lineker tweeted about Corbyn in 2017 and now Braverman, is the very definition of impartiality; ie treating everyone equally.

It's almost as if Auntie is breaking her own treaty by it's actions.
The guidelines regarding sports presenters expressing opinions on public social media are vague.
The upper hierarchy of the BBC got the hump about this as the immigration issue is the government flagship policy intended to win back votes.
Lineker might have been aware of this, he certainly landed a blow on some jaws.

He minimised it by comparing the description of some limited measures to stop illegal migration into a country with one of the worst crimes in human history. The two aren’t comparable and to imply they are equivalent is to minimise one and exaggerate the other.

Yes, he said the language in the 1930s, not the actual holocaust, but the implication was clear. After all, the nazis aren’t regarded as one of the most evil regimes in history because of their language in the early part of their reign. It was clear the line of argument he was making was to equate the current actions of the government with those of Nazi germany. That is an absolutely risible comparison that is offensive and beyond contempt.

The implication is fairly clear yes.but is it wrong to worry about the future?

Did the Germans in 1933 who listened to their government and accepted what they were doing expect what it would lead to? I doubt it very much. But they accepted what their Government did and look where it ended up.

It's right to remind people about this and it's right to be cautious. Pointing out comparisons with 1930s Germany is about caring about minorities as well as refugees and hoping that this horrific lot in charge don't go further down that road.

Seen quite a few of the older, miserable sort across the internet pretending the show was better last night.

Why the fuck would anyone wait around until 22:30 to watch some brief highlights? They're on YouTube about 15 mins after full time.

In fact, why are you staying up until then to watch MOTD any other week if you find the presenters so insufferable?
Lol

Well, I believe he did. I would add i don’t think his comments were worthy of any particular censure. People are allowed, still, to be offensive now and then. But his comments did serve to minimise the evils of Nazi germany by comparing it to an unremarkable immigration policy in 2023.
It’s not an unremarkable immigration policy in 2023 that is being compared. It’s a disgraceful policy that criminalises asylum seekers for being asylum seekers. You’re the one trying to minimise the contemptibility of this government proposal.

Guy suggests language used by a political party is similar to early 1930's propaganda, criticizes them for it, and he's an anti-semite?

Think you've got your wires crossed mate.
No, I don’t think so. Minimisation of the evils of the holocaust is a standard antisemitic trope. As with Andrew Bridgen this kind of false equivalence is often widely condemned.

"City escape with victory" and "reactions as City barely beat Crystal Palace" were the first two things I saw. Is it the same old anti City rhetoric every week on there too ?
You missed the "City barely stay in title race" then? And yes, that is real.

The analogy Lineker drew is sound, for the reasons you to which you point. Anyone who makes a leap from that to concentration camps is simply looking for reasons to dislike what he has said. It’s irrational and therefore best ignored.

^

No, I don’t think so. Minimisation of the evils of the holocaust is a standard antisemitic trope. As with Andrew Bridgen this kind of false equivalence is often widely condemned.
Gary Lineker did not minimise the evils of the holocaust. He didn’t even mention the holocaust.

Andrew Bridgen directly compared vaccines to the holocaust.

You’re losing the plot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.