Has the BBC become a Tory tool?

Ah well if you’re arguing he shouldn’t have been suspended, then yes, I agree.

Thought you were saying he should have been sacked and by not doing that was setting a precedent.
No, I think he should have been sacked.

But the precedent being set is that it's OK to break the rules if you are popular enough and important enough. It's not a good move.

Is Gary Lineker a man of substance ? If he's so right in his convictions one might argue he should have told the BBC where to stick it. Either he believes in the right to free speech without censure or he's happy to work for an employer than tries to stop him having a voice on matters other than sport ? And to carry on working for an employer that a sizeable number might think was pressured by the Government into censuring him in the hope they'd sack him ?
Presumably those pundits and commentators in the "back Gary campaign" are quite happy now that GL is back behind the camera ?

The BBC handled the whole episode terribly, and a humiliating climbdown like this was inevitable. Glad that common sense has eventually prevailed and that Lineker will return to the show, but Tim Davie and Richard Sharp should be considering their own positions.
So cancel them then?

....and the only ones that can replace the Chairman is the Govt.

Does anyone see much changing here? Will it merely mean the BBC will tighten up contracts on what can and cannot be said. (thus a step backwards and chiselling out that Orwell quote....)

From the sounds of it the employees of the BBC have shown they're staunchly against stricter interpretations of the impartiality law.

I expect they'll have a policy where impartiality doesn't apply to freelance presenters or people outside the newsrooms.

I expect the government will manage to put all the blame at the BBC's door though and then use the situation as another reason to privatise the BBC and sell everything off to their mates.

How is that donation "charitable" rather than political?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.