Has the Full Back Problem returned?

MCFC1993

Has the full back problem returned again despite our purchases?

In Pep's first season it was the biggest problem but mainly due to the age and lack of legs. Seems to me it's returned again this season just in a slightly different form.

Walker - Don't know what's wrong with him, if I was giving him the benefit of the doubt it looks like he's played far too many games over the last 18 months, didn't have a big enough break after the World Cup. If I was being critical I'd say he's got comfortable with his league title.

Mendy - His injuries are killing us, forcing us to play players out of position, Delph has done a solid job filling in but we're still in a position where we need to buy a left back.

Danilo - Should be starting at right back at the moment, looks lost at left back.

I think it's hugely important that we bring in a left back soon or we could be saying the same thing next season.

So what's the solution this season?

I think it's hopefully get Delph/Mendy back, play Danilo right back and give Walker 2 weeks off.

Probably a left back, frees Danilo to have a run at right back and see whether Walker can regain his form.

Too early to confine Kyle to the scrap heap just yet. Give the lad a rest let him come back and see how he goes. He will be difficult to move on if that becomes the case. I think he has 2 years left after this year remaining and has a high salary

It's never been away and was here last season. We should not be playing a right-footed player or utility midfielder at left back, and we've had opportunities in three windows to rectify our mistake. Mendy is a year behind in learning the system and what to do, mentally, so we should have either kept Angelino or bought someone experienced, preferably someone with experience under Guardiola, to deputise.

I cannot see how we will progress in the latter stages of the CL and win it until we have fullbacks that genuinely want the ball and can truly threaten in the final third. As it stands, with most I'm more afraid of what they'll do in that area than the oppositions seem to be. :-(

Has the full back problem returned again despite our purchases?

In Pep's first season it was the biggest problem but mainly due to the age and lack of legs. Seems to me it's returned again this season just in a slightly different form.

Walker - Don't know what's wrong with him, if I was giving him the benefit of the doubt it looks like he's played far too many games over the last 18 months, didn't have a big enough break after the World Cup. If I was being critical I'd say he's got comfortable with his league title.

Mendy - His injuries are killing us, forcing us to play players out of position, Delph has done a solid job filling in but we're still in a position where we need to buy a left back.

Danilo - Should be starting at right back at the moment, looks lost at left back.

I think it's hugely important that we bring in a left back soon or we could be saying the same thing next season.

So what's the solution this season?

I think it's hopefully get Delph/Mendy back, play Danilo right back and give Walker 2 weeks off.

I think we had a really good balance to the team when Mendy was fit for the first couple of months, After the Rags game he got the injury and things started to go pear shaped some what. Walker has been the shadow of the player he was last season, He's having a torrid time of it this season.
Our full back are crucial to the way we play, And when they aren't on it you can see it effects our performances.
Personally I thought we would of bought a left back in the summer with the serious knee injury to Mendy and also not having proper back up to Mendy. There's only so long you can get away with playing Delph and Zinchenko as make shift left backs before teams start capitalising against it.

Think your right though it's been a problem.

Chillwell seems to be the LB target, another 50-60 million on LB. Maybe we get lucky this time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.