Has the premier league burst its own bubble ?

It's only a matter of time before there is a new model for football.
Current model not too dissimilar to the game's 19th Century origins - the EPL in 1992 being the first major change in order to retain the money by the "big" clubs.
The EPL is not the be all and end all and a European league is inevitable because it's all about money.
Structured on a franchise model as per NFL and funded by TV/corporate money as per NFL.

When there is a large enough group of current clubs they will abandon their current leagues and away they go.
We could all name the likely first dozen now.
Local/current fans will be irrelevant as per NFL where the franchise owner will simply up sticks and relocate as they choose.
No need for promotion and relegation. A starting group will invite franchises/teams to join and expand the competition for a payment.
Players will play fewer club games, meaning a FIFA World Super Cup will be more likely and the new model will get FIFA support.
The most valuable NFL team is the Dallas Cowboys who haven't won a Super Bowl for 30 years - you don't need total success to make money. And money will drive this.

The Red Devils, The Hotspurs and The Gunners could be franchised anywhere.
The Cityzens less likely (I would hope) as our owners understand football.
American owners are the real threat, they don't understand that football is built on local rivalries, promotion/relegation jeopardy, community ownership - not just in England but all over Europe.

Hopefully not in my lifetime.

It has always been the case. First up was the Spurs double winning side of the early sixties when MotD first began and it was generally Spurs on every fuckin' game, until that match when we battered 'em 6-2 the BBC fucked off and broadcast another game, then it was a mix of the Arse, Dippers and, never off the fuckin' BBC, the Rags - every FAC game no matter who they are playing, and no matter if there are more mouth-watering games elsewhere.

There's no problem with investment within the PL just as long as you put it on the slate and rack up more debt!
Bearing in mind they only covered two games per week. If you dug into BBC archives, what fixture would you suggest they showed most? I'd bet Rags v Spuds will be well up there amongst the top

It's only a matter of time before there is a new model for football.
Current model not too dissimilar to the game's 19th Century origins - the EPL in 1992 being the first major change in order to retain the money by the "big" clubs.
The EPL is not the be all and end all and a European league is inevitable because it's all about money.
Structured on a franchise model as per NFL and funded by TV/corporate money as per NFL.

When there is a large enough group of current clubs they will abandon their current leagues and away they go.
We could all name the likely first dozen now.
Local/current fans will be irrelevant as per NFL where the franchise owner will simply up sticks and relocate as they choose.
No need for promotion and relegation. A starting group will invite franchises/teams to join and expand the competition for a payment.
Players will play fewer club games, meaning a FIFA World Super Cup will be more likely and the new model will get FIFA support.
The most valuable NFL team is the Dallas Cowboys who haven't won a Super Bowl for 30 years - you don't need total success to make money. And money will drive this.

The Red Devils, The Hotspurs and The Gunners could be franchised anywhere.
The Cityzens less likely (I would hope) as our owners understand football.
American owners are the real threat, they don't understand that football is built on local rivalries, promotion/relegation jeopardy, community ownership - not just in England but all over Europe.

Hopefully not in my lifetime.
this is probably the way it will go , im sure Citys owner will demand a place at the table because of the money involved but we could have problems if the 'owners' dont want two 'franchises ' in the same city / area

UEFA still has a break-even requirement, so I guess the PL will as well.

Be interesting what will be discussed? If doing this is damaging the premier modal for selling tv rights! They could bring in if your owner is fine at writing if 300m it won't go towards PSR and I think the rags Arsenal Chelsea Villa Everton and Newcastle will vote for that! Would we?

Not sure if it's burst it's own bubble.
But I do think the standard of a lot of players isn't a great as it once was.
Years ago it was amazing to see players like zola,Bergkamp klinsman etc.
Now team are full of average foreign players and a lot of the time they're no better than the young lads in the youth team.
Take Sergio gomez for us as an example.
Nice player but is he much better than some kids in youth team.
Sorry to pick him out nothing against him.
Also I think it's over exposed games are almost every day.
Maybe good for armchair fans in America.
Not that they know anything about football.
But I feel its just too much.
Look this week mid week games are now Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday.
It's every day a game is on .
And a lot of the time games are played at stupid times and stupid days for o reason than it suits foreign fans.
I for one have has a tit full of it.
Hardly ever watch a game or even look at the scores.

If I do watch a game it's on the tablet with no sound while I'm watching something else.
Can't have sound on because the commentary is fucking awful

Reactions: PPT
Now team are full of average foreign players and a lot of the time they're no better than the young lads in the youth team.
And a lot of the time games are played at stupid times and stupid days for o reason than it suits foreign fans.

If I do watch a game it's on the tablet with no sound while I'm watching something else.

Standard of technically better footballers in more team now than there ever been 20+ years ago half the premier couldn't trap a ball or control a ball coming at you quickly

Standard of technically better footballers in more team now than there ever been 20+ years ago half the premier couldn't trap a ball or control a ball coming at you quickly
Yes but would the standard be arsed with less foreign players and more young English players.
It would help the national team.
Not that I watch engerland

You want to complain! Look at these shoes. I've only had them three weeks and the heels are worn right through. If you complain , nothing happens. You might as well not bother. Oh my back hurts, it's not a very fine day and I'm sick and tired of this office.

** Sorry, yours was a good rant, from the heart. It just reminded me of this part of the argument sketch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.