have never felt so comfortable...

tolmie's hairdoo said:
with our current manager.

Want to expand the debate rather than Mancini is God, ad nauseum.

However, in all my 30 years of watching us, admittedly, we have had some real shite, I have great faith in Mancini's abilities.

There is a calmed assurance which he portrays, which at least to myself, screams confidence and winner.

I thought for a very brief time Howard Kendall knew what he was doing, that's the only other time.

My own barometer only twitches slightly in the 'big games', but sense that is as much down to his belief some players are to still to take that leap of faith?

Is there anybody else you thought had the serious stones.

Please don't say Sven, Hughes or Reid!

This. Very, very, very much this.

gman07 said:
I think someone said it in another thread... the belief in City possibilities cameback with Sven for me... those first 5 months really brought back the magic... the rest we can leave behind in the archives...

Mancini has something I rarely see in a manager... he doesn't seem to get rocked by much on the pitch... good or bad results he always comeback and is always saying we need to improve, we need to work hard... even if we play a brilliant game he gives praise and then goes back to the 'mantra'... If we play a bad game or has misfortune that is what he is saying... and for me that is something we have been lacking for way to long... we dont need to get ahead of ourselves... just keep do what we need to do... improve, work hard... That fills me with confidence... result comes and goes but this is still a learning curve for both players and fans and club... and this is how we do it... we improve and work hard...

Good post and one I agree with.

In terms of how I feel about Roberto, I guess I'm resigned to the fact that I'll never completely love him the way other supporters do. Results are all that matter and he's getting them so he deserves massive amounts of respect and praise for managing to get them whilst being under such immense scrutiny. But there's still that nagging doubt in the back of my mind as to his tactics when it comes to the big big games.

a trophy and a top 4 finish was a lot to ask in 6 months in a new league with alot of players you didn't know and with key players still in the camp of the previous manager. how anyone could expect that is beyond me

BillyShears said:
gman07 said:
I think someone said it in another thread... the belief in City possibilities cameback with Sven for me... those first 5 months really brought back the magic... the rest we can leave behind in the archives...

Mancini has something I rarely see in a manager... he doesn't seem to get rocked by much on the pitch... good or bad results he always comeback and is always saying we need to improve, we need to work hard... even if we play a brilliant game he gives praise and then goes back to the 'mantra'... If we play a bad game or has misfortune that is what he is saying... and for me that is something we have been lacking for way to long... we dont need to get ahead of ourselves... just keep do what we need to do... improve, work hard... That fills me with confidence... result comes and goes but this is still a learning curve for both players and fans and club... and this is how we do it... we improve and work hard...

Good post and one I agree with.

In terms of how I feel about Roberto, I guess I'm resigned to the fact that I'll never completely love him the way other supporters do. Results are all that matter and he's getting them so he deserves massive amounts of respect and praise for managing to get them whilst being under such immense scrutiny. But there's still that nagging doubt in the back of my mind as to his tactics when it comes to the big big games.

Thanks for that!

yes and no to results in big games... its dual thing... manager sets the tactic... players perform... we have good wins in big games and so far we have also have bad ones or draws... we won against chelsea at their fort... we won again against chelsea at home... we have 2 draws against arsenal at emirates... and one loss home... we have lost against united and struggled against Spurs... but its not always the managers fault that players in some games doesnt perform or that the other team play out of their skins... its a work in progress... but to go back to the mantra it does take time to get a winning attitude and belief in your strengths...

was it you that started that excellent thread about pace... I agree we need that... we miss a Bellamy type of player but not Bellamy himself... but they are hard to find... hopefully it will be addressed...

So we have things to improve ofc... but we are working on it and we are getting there... The change in the team in this season alone I merit Mancini for installing a good shape and defence and slowly a much better attack... at least the longer the season has gone... we started off rather pathetic in the attacking part of the game but the more games the more attack we have seen without letting go of the defence!!! That in itself is also gives me confidence that we are improving and working hard to get better!

gman07 said:
Thanks for that!

yes and no to results in big games... its dual thing... manager sets the tactic... players perform... we have good wins in big games and so far we have also have bad ones or draws... we won against chelsea at their fort... we won again against chelsea at home... we have 2 draws against arsenal at emirates... and one loss home... we have lost against united and struggled against Spurs... but its not always the managers fault that players in some games doesnt perform or that the other team play out of their skins... its a work in progress... but to go back to the mantra it does take time to get a winning attitude and belief in your strengths...

Again, totally agree with a lot of that. I think the one thing I will say in defense my reservation is that all too often against the bigger sides, we have looked happy to play out a draw. We did it against the rags earlier this season, and have done it every time Mancini's come up against Arsenal. In and of itself it's not a bad thing, because sometimes a point is an excellent point. It's just not my cup of tea - and I've been slated for it many times. With the quality of players we have at our disposal, I'd like us to 'have a go' to use a British cliche.

was it you that started that excellent thread about pace... I agree we need that... we miss a Bellamy type of player but not Bellamy himself... but they are hard to find... hopefully it will be addressed...

Yep, that was my thread. I posted in it earlier today that two players I'd be looking at are Elia and Sanchez...

So we have things to improve ofc... but we are working on it and we are getting there... The change in the team in this season alone I merit Mancini for installing a good shape and defence and slowly a much better attack... at least the longer the season has gone... we started off rather pathetic in the attacking part of the game but the more games the more attack we have seen without letting go of the defence!!! That in itself is also gives me confidence that we are improving and working hard to get better!

Again totally agree. I can see the progress in front of my eyes. Nothing made me prouder than when I realized that we just weren't going to conceded against Arsenal. We have at times ripped teams to shreds in recent weeks.

But it wouldn't be me if I didn't wish we'd have a go at giving Silva, Yaya's role, and flanking him with Balo and AJ....

BillyShears said:
Again, totally agree with a lot of that. I think the one thing I will say in defense my reservation is that all too often against the bigger sides, we have looked happy to play out a draw. We did it against the rags earlier this season, and have done it every time Mancini's come up against Arsenal. In and of itself it's not a bad thing, because sometimes a point is an excellent point. It's just not my cup of tea - and I've been slated for it many times. With the quality of players we have at our disposal, I'd like us to 'have a go' to use a British cliche.

Yes me too and I think we will see it as soon as we have a full strength team to field against a 'big club'
Yep, that was my thread. I posted in it earlier today that two players I'd be looking at are Elia and Sanchez...
Well Elia i know off and agree he would really suit us... was disappointed that we couldnt get Ozil in the summer... he has lots of pace too!!! Sanchez is that the chilean guy?? If it is he is awesome!!!

Again totally agree. I can see the progress in front of my eyes. Nothing made me prouder than when I realized that we just weren't going to conceded against Arsenal. We have at times ripped teams to shreds in recent weeks.

But it wouldn't be me if I didn't wish we'd have a go at giving Silva, Yaya's role, and flanking him with Balo and AJ....
I agree... again! Silva as central attack is very mouth watering... and so far we havent had a chance to get a full strength team with all in form... I think we will see this in the future... or at least I really hope we do!! Not sure of AJ on the right tho if we get Dzeko... I think it can be Silva in the middle flanked by Balo and Tevez with Dzeko as front... that in itself is also something to look forward too!!

Mancio said:
Plain Speaking said:
I think Mancini is one of the best managers in the PL at the moment. I like his: intelligence, confidence, experience and sense of authority.
My biggest reservation with Mancini is connected to his communication skills. His English is getting better but when you truly need to motivate and inspire people you need to be fluent in their language.
Rednapp, Moyes, Ferguson and Mourinho can all motivate teams to produce performances of a higher standard than the same players did under other managers.
I have not yet seen that from Mancini. Hopefully this will come!

LOL at least half team barely understand an english word
i think there is only Tevez who doesnt seem to have tried to learn English. However the best coach around, (Mourinho), is fluent in a number of languages. Apparently United have identified the skill set for Fergie's replacement and fluency in principal languages is rated highly. The main Italian managers in the English game, (Mancini, Ancellotti and Capello) are not as effective as they could be because of their lack of fluency. Contrast this with Roberto Martinez who is superb with his language skills. I am not saying its the most important skill but it is a real weakness for those Italians.

I doubt we will forever be playing for draws under Mancini against the top teams, maybe he just doesn't have the confidence in our team just yet and thinks it needs a little more time to gel before we take on the big boys? If we only ever play for draws against the big teams then we're asking for trouble IMO, but I doubt that's the long term plan. That said, I think we've only been content to draw in two games - arse away and rags at home.

As for the pace thing, I thought it would be a major problem at the start of the season. Our squad ticks almost every box, but there's a severe lack of pace. Early into the season it became apparent that, like Chelsea, we just don't really play at pace. We're well organised, intelligent and just knock it about and create openings. If we had a particularly fast player in the team I'm not sure we'd use his pace so much. I'd prefer we did play with a bit more pace at times myself. I've also noticed that in the past month or two we've showed early signs of a willingness to catch teams on the counter. I think this is a string that we could really do with adding to our bow, the rags have made a killing out of it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.