Have we seen the best?

This is one reason I believe the CL has to be a priority this season, as it would be the capstone trophy that makes everyone sit up and realize this really is the best team England has ever seen.

It depends how we play in the CL. We have always had a propensity to shoot ourselves in the foot against quite ordinary opposition. CLs are won by teams who have above all else a set of dogged defenders who can be blessed with everyone else's good fortune. And I've always said that in any competition of six or seven knock out games you only have to play well once to win it, and it needn't be in a final. The best team in Europe, always a subjective thing, doesn't necessarily win the CL. And were we to brush aside any opposition this coming season, and win the final with the same footnote we saved for last season's FAC Final, the RDAHMeedya would still find something about which to be wholly negative, and compare it unfavourably with that club who lost four games before carrying off the trophy last season.

I fear we have been spoiled for life.

While there will definitely be football this season that brings us to our feet, it is simply not reasonable to believe that we can continue to break records year after year after year. This is one reason I believe the CL has to be a priority this season, as it would be the capstone trophy that makes everyone sit up and realize this really is the best team England has ever seen.

While it is almost unreal for me to say that I don’t really care about the Domestic cup competitions this season, I think it is the only way a team survives the long PL and CL seasons with any realistic chance of victory.

Last season, the CL was wide open for us and to think we lost to Spurs over two legs still boggles the mind. However, by adding Rodri this season, and with not even making a CL semi final under Pep, I just don’t see how he and the ownership can’t be placing all their eggs in that basket this season.

The League happens every week, often twice a week, and City have a winning habit now, so most of those games will take care if themselves, especially with the desire to play. However, I just feel like we have faltered repeatedly in the CL, even in the Group Stages, and this has to be fixed.

The zenith, whether most City fans can stomach it or not, is to be crowned European Champions. To do that on the back of Centurions & Formidables is, I believe, the ONLY way to see “progress,” even if the quality of football does bring a tear to one’s eye at times.

Decent post, although you could have saved yourself a lot of time and effort by just using the first line ;-)

I think we could do a league and UCL double next year- for me personally, that would top both the Centurions and the Quadruple.

Will we decline when Pep leaves? Uh, yeah, probably. Not permanently though, eventually another manager near his calibre will turn up even if Arteta doesn't work out.

I think we will get better this season
A fit KDB and young players maturing all taking the pressure off Spanish Dave so he can weave his magic for a final ten months

As for the CL
All you can do is qualify for the KO stages
From there it's a cup competition where missing a pen or dodgy VAR replays can have a huge bearing on a tie
We went all in to win it vs Spurs, but ultimately failed
It'll happen at some time
Also you have to factor in the premier league fixtures around the ucl qfs. If we hadn't had to play Spurs and utd away then Pep might have played a more attack minded team in the 1st leg, the premise of 2 legs also seems to take away the fear factor of playing us in Europe

I think we are the best but actually have loads of areas for improvement & some of the past PL winning teams did bits here & there better than us.

A simple one, for example, how many times do we brilliantly get behind a defence, only to find a great player, wide in the opponent's penalty area, with the ball under his control, unable to arrange with any team mate, a final pass which results in a goal ?

Ferguson's rags, were miles better in that situation imo & also at contriving goals from headed crosses. We are 1000 times better at getting into that position in the first place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.