Have you seen some of the comments from neutrals!?

Prestwich_Blue said:
On Radio 5Live this morning, Nicky Campbell (who IS a football fan) was raving about it but said his wife (who hates everything about football normally) jumped up off the couch screaming with delight when Sergio scored. His co-presenter Rachel Burden (a rugby fan) was enthusing about it.

Matthew Syed, one of the Times leader writers said in today's paper:
Too much money? Players overpaid? Excessive hype? A cultural distraction? Hold those thoughts just for one day or two. Because yesterday provided the most pulsating, dramatic, life-affirming & consistently staggering day in the history of Premier League football.

He also wrote this article. It certainly sums me up emotionally: -

You would have to be off your rocker to be a Manchester City fan. Anybody thinking of supporting a Manchester club in recent decades would have done far better to plump for the Reds.

United have a more storied history (as Sir Alex Ferguson pointed out, rather cruelly, on Sunday) and, until very recently, an infinitely brighter future. So, why would any sane person look any farther than Old Trafford?

But that is the thing about football allegiances: they are not determined by the conventions of consumer psychology. Choosing a football club is not like choosing a soap powder or a brand of razor. You do not plump for the easy or even the sensible choice. Indeed, the reasons fans give for their allegiance often seem almost provocatively irrational when set against the lifetime of devotion that they entail.

“I support Spurs because my favourite uncle did.” “I support Brentford because Griffin Park was the first ground at which I watched a live match.” “I support Manchester City because I am a masochist and really fancied half a century of anguish.” (As one fan told me yesterday with a knowing smile on his face.)

And sometimes, there is no choice at all. In Far Foreign Land, his heartfelt ode to Liverpool, Tony Evans, the Football Editor of The Times, writes: “There are people who contend that the state of obsession that many of us exist with is an affectation, a lifestyle choice. It’s not. Right from the beginning, from the first moment that my consciousness registered as a memory, I’ve known that it is a part of my being. And it can skew the way you look at life.”

Perhaps nobody has given us a more evocative analysis of fandom than Nick Hornby in Fever Pitch. It is a book in which Hornby turns his gaze deep within to grapple with the impenetrable mysteries of his own fanaticism. “I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,” he writes. “Suddenly, inexplicably, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain or disruption it would bring with it.”

The notion that pain, or, at the very least, angst, is the conventional inner state of a diehard supporter is well documented, and it explains some otherwise mysterious assertions. A friend who supports Chelsea told me that, as he took his seat to watch the first leg of the Champions League semi-final against Barcelona at Stamford Bridge, he hoped for an early goal for the Spaniards. “I was just too tense,” he said. “At least if Barça knocked one in early, I could relax, knowing that it was all over.”

These paradoxes often seem bewildering to those not afflicted with the football disease. But they are legion. In one of the match reports of City’s trophy-clinching triumph on Sunday afternoon, it was revealed how one group of their fans, sitting in front of the press box, left the stadium just a few minutes before the epic denouement. Did they care so little that they could not wait to see if City would turn it around? Of course not. The problem was that they cared too much.

When fans turn away, close their eyes, leave the stadium, and so on, I am often reminded of parents watching their children play competitive sport.

For many it is just too emotionally draining, too attritional. They are so personally involved in what is happening that they cannot bear to sit on the sidelines, powerless. At certain stages of the match at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday, you could almost imagine the fans invading the pitch to force the ball into the Queens Park Rangers net by sheer dint of numbers. Instead they sat in growing anguish. No wonder that some left early.

Those who do not really get football will have watched the highlights on the news, or perhaps the celebrations on Monday evening, and wondered at how a simple game could reach so deep into the soul of a community. But football is more than a game. Even for those of us who love other sports, it is easy to acknowledge that football is in a different league altogether, both in its spectacle and its basic anthropology.

For Evans, Hornby and millions more, it is an obsession; a facet of identity; a reason to be gripped with angst and, very occasionally, with the glorious, incontinent joy that was witnessed on Sunday afternoon as thousands of City fans leapt the perimeter advertising and ran hither and thither in a state of unabashed ecstasy. In what other forum, sporting or cultural, do we see such an mass outpouring?

The illogicality of fandom is, of course, part of its power. That a City supporter cannot rationally justify why he supports the Blues rather than the Reds, or that an Anfield devotee cannot logically infer that Liverpool are, when all is said and done, a more worthy team to follow than Tranmere Rovers, imbues fandom with an emotional significance that other forms of allegiance cannot begin to match. In that sense, football (in a profound way) is like religion.

For fans of City, it has been an interminable wait. Many older supporters have become so accustomed to the cruel irony of living with disappointment next to glorious neighbours that it has spawned its own literature. Manchester United Ruined My Life, a lyrical memoir by Colin Shindler, a Jewish boy growing up as a Blue in the shadow of Old Trafford, is one of a host of bittersweet autobiographies. “I wanted them to win every match and I was devastated when they didn’t,” Shindler writes.

He was devastated rather a lot.

The liturgy of fandom also acknowledges this essential pain, and many of the most satirical chants in recent years have been consciously self-mocking. The City classic: “Macclesfield Town, are you watching?”, chanted as their own team were being relegated to the same division as their Cheshire neighbours, remains one of the most bitingly funny as well as one of the most poignant in the genre.

But without pain, there can be no pleasure, as C. S. Lewis has often observed.

To comprehend the release of euphoria on Sunday afternoon, you first have to understand the 44-year incubation period. Four decades of anguish were the prerequisite for a release so volcanic that neutrals watching on the telly in their thousands will have cracked a smile, perhaps even a chuckle, in empathy. Truly, it was one of the most astonishing afternoons of sport in living memory.

The Times managed to track down one of the supporters who left the Etihad Stadium early and heard the news of Sergio Agüero’s winner on the radio while driving through Manchester. He had left with six members of his family because none of them could stand it any longer as the clock ticked down.

“We got home in time to see the trophy being lifted on television,” he said. “That saved it for us. My dad was there crying his eyes out. He’s 67, a City fan all his life. He’s crying, my mum’s giving him a hug. I was surrounded by all the people that matter most to me, so I can’t complain.”

For sports fans, Sunday afternoon was one of the greatest days in the history of football. But for City fans, many of them, it was one of the greatest days in life.<br /><br />-- Tue May 15, 2012 10:10 pm --<br /><br />
carlos92 said:
Rascal said:
This is from an Everton fan on another forum i use

I remember in school, we used to coillect footy cards, we'd save our pocket money and buy them, it tooks weeks and weeks to get the full set and stick them in the album.

Then some rich kid from Caldy's who didn't have a clue about footy saw what we were all doing and all the attention we were giving it. he got daddy to go to the newsagents, buy a full box of stickers and a new album that cost loads and left him with about 60 Yohan Neeskins. He proudly displayed the full set. It didn't matter....he simply didn't get it.

That's all

and my reply to him

My school was a homely little place full of fun and laughter. We were hopeless at sport and the games master changed regularly. We had an old muddy pitch and cold water in the baths. Across the street was a big school, it had new buildings and a scottish headmaster. They were also very good at Business and could attract all the best pupils. They sneered at our little school and hung a banner reminding us of how long it was since we won a schools trophy.

But we loved our school and always believed one day things may change. The local council then built us a new school, it was nice and shiny but the other school still sneered and they sang there school anthem "we do what we want" at us. Then one day the man who owned the petrol station down the road paid for some new pupils to come to our school and he got us a new headmaster and a brilliant head boy.

The headmaster at the big school sneered and refered to us as the noisy neighbours and when one day we won the local schools cup, they had to tear there banner down and we sang there school anthem but changed the words to "we will score when we want" when we gave them the mother of all beatings in a local game.

The man who owned the petrol station made sure our schools pupils were well looked after and at the end of the term exams our pupils passed with flying colours and now we are the best school in the country and the man from the petrol station is investing more of his money to turn our side of the street into a prosperous area and is even building a new primary school.

The other school things it wrong that we now get all the good pupils and think it is very unfair. But what is the difference between being owned by a man who runs a petrol station and a man who runs a shopping centre. The shopping centre owner makes money out of his school to run his shops. The man with the petrol station uses his profits to help make better pupils.

Spot on there Rascal.

Oh lord that takes me back. Thanks for the memories.

Rascal said:
This is from an Everton fan on another forum i use

I remember in school, we used to coillect footy cards, we'd save our pocket money and buy them, it tooks weeks and weeks to get the full set and stick them in the album.

Then some rich kid from Caldy's who didn't have a clue about footy saw what we were all doing and all the attention we were giving it. he got daddy to go to the newsagents, buy a full box of stickers and a new album that cost loads and left him with about 60 Yohan Neeskins. He proudly displayed the full set. It didn't matter....he simply didn't get it.

That's all

and my reply to him

My school was a homely little place full of fun and laughter. We were hopeless at sport and the games master changed regularly. We had an old muddy pitch and cold water in the baths. Across the street was a big school, it had new buildings and a scottish headmaster. They were also very good at Business and could attract all the best pupils. They sneered at our little school and hung a banner reminding us of how long it was since we won a schools trophy.

But we loved our school and always believed one day things may change. The local council then built us a new school, it was nice and shiny but the other school still sneered and they sang there school anthem "we do what we want" at us. Then one day the man who owned the petrol station down the road paid for some new pupils to come to our school and he got us a new headmaster and a brilliant head boy.

The headmaster at the big school sneered and refered to us as the noisy neighbours and when one day we won the local schools cup, they had to tear there banner down and we sang there school anthem but changed the words to "we will score when we want" when we gave them the mother of all beatings in a local game.

The man who owned the petrol station made sure our schools pupils were well looked after and at the end of the term exams our pupils passed with flying colours and now we are the best school in the country and the man from the petrol station is investing more of his money to turn our side of the street into a prosperous area and is even building a new primary school.

The other school things it wrong that we now get all the good pupils and think it is very unfair. But what is the difference between being owned by a man who runs a petrol station and a man who runs a shopping centre. The shopping centre owner makes money out of his school to run his shops. The man with the petrol station uses his profits to help make better pupils.
great post.

In 1968 most fans in away grounds applauded us as champions when we came out of the tunnel. I think most of todays fans will do the same. Rags excepted.

CONGRATS CITY! :) from a Hammer
I didn't think it would be straight forward, and City being City, proved me correct. lol
A final day battle to decide the EPL title. City vs Utd. Blue vs Red. Good vs Evil.
City: The BEST HOME record vs QPR: the WORST AWAY record. It should be a walk in the park right? WRONG!
When Mackie's goal went in, i just kept thinking; How could you do all the hard work and then blow it? How could you?

The camera kept showing the agony and utter despair on the fans faces and i was right there with you.
I kept thinking; this MANURE team and their scummy cheating players and glory hunting "fans" are going to steal the title away from you and they will be THE WORST TEAM EVER to win the EPL, it's a travesty. This is Chelski vs Barca all over again. There CANNOT be a GOD!

BUT ......... I knew what THIS group of players were capable of, and i was convinced (No BS) that if you got a second goal, you would score a third. But time was running out. We were in to stoppage time and i had all but given up hope.
And then it happened .... AGUEROOOOoooooo! I have NEVER celebrated a goal from another club like i did that day MAY 13th 2012.
It brought a tear to my eye to see the long suffering City fans FINALLY have their day. Well done City! You deserve it!

Footnote: BUT PLEASE. Don't let success turn you into what you despise so much and what sets you apart from your hated neighbour.
Be humble in victory and show dignity in defeat, and you'll continue to have what THEY will NEVER have ...... CLASS!

Top top thread. Along with watching QPR fans celebrating Aguero's goal, my faith in football fans country wide is well and truly restored.

Hope we don't blow it by becoming as arrogant as the rags. The level of support we are receiving is probably a one off as this is our first league success in 44 yrs. The more we win the harder it will become to retain respect/support from supporters of other clubs.

We must stay grounded and retain our famous sense humour. In fact we may have to evolve our humour as it is fortunately getting harder to laugh at ourselves.

Was watching with a United fan and his two young Chelsea supporter sons and my mom.

This guy was giving everything he had "city losers" "useless faggot Mancini" even his young son said he was being a jerk.

When that ball hit the net, we all went fucking ballistic!!

I'll never forget the look of disgust on his face, it made it so much sweeter.

Read the whole thread, thanks very much to the other supporters who posted on here, it its much appreciated by me at least.

Well said Rascal!

My minor contribution, there was an email waiting for me when I got into work on Monday from a Liverpool fan I work with, who called it, quote;

... the most electrifying thing I have ever seen in sport ...

After their champions league result a few years ago, I thought that was really something coming from him.

BringBackSwales said:
there are a lot of great posts from neutrals in here fella, but this one is absolutely spot on, THANK YOU, and I no longer begrudge you the Carlig Cup win

No worries mate.

I could seriously watch Aguero's goal forever. I've seen it probably 30 times already and even downloaded a torrent of MOTD which we don't get over here in Australia (sadly, cracking show).

I've always had that soft spot for City (must be the common hatred of United).

This will go down as one of the greatest moments in not just football history, but sporting history.

For me it's right up there as one of my favourite football moments ever, right up there with Istanbul, Gerrard's goal in the FA Cup final, Australia qualifying for the World Cup in 2006 for the first time in 32 years and scoring three goals in the last 8 minutes to win our first match in Germany against Japan.

All the best in the CL and league next year to you lads.

I've just read the whole thread from the start and after going on Blue Moon for a few years this is definitely the best thread I've ever seen. It's fantastic to know that so many fans from all over the UK where supporting us on Sunday. It makes you feel proud to be a football supporter, we take a lot of shit off the press and media but rarely good moments like this are publicised.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.