Have your views on a European Super League changed in the last three years?

The German clubs would refuse to enter so any competition without Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund weakens it.

Whilst the proposed European Super League was a breakaway from the Champions League, clubs were likely to be kicked out of their domestic leagues because of their involvement.

It was to replace the UEFA competitions and run alongside the Premier League wasn’t it?
If memory serves me the Premier League made it clear that any teams that chose to join the Super League would be expelled from the PL, so although in design it was meant to run parallel, in practice it would effectively replace it.

Can’t imagine the Premier League’s position will have changed.

Like everything else, it’s a matter of how it is structured.

Currently, UEFA and FIFA are in a death match to see who can kill the Golden Goose quickest! Flogging your horse isn’t the best way to get it to compete for the Grand National, nor is LEGISLATING at least 2 games per week for 10 months…then a Confederation Tournament, Club World Cup, or FIFA World Cup EVERY SUMMER for 4-6 weeks!

Players are literally only getting a 2 week, maybe 3-4 weeks for your worst players, break every year.

For 2 years in succession, the PL needs to have 4 teams relegated and only 3 coming up. That’d be an 18 team League, 36 games, only played on weekends.

The only exceptions would be the FA Cup 3rd Round, which would be the first game of the new year and right before a staggered winter break, and the FA Cup SF. The Carabao Cup would become an all midweek affair.

If you replace the CL with a ESL, then it has to be merit-based, every year, no legacy hangovers from days of yore, and must fit into that skeleton. ESL teams are omitted from the Carabao Cup draw, which frees up those weekdays for games. A team SHOULD NOT be allowed to play midweek games in two consecutive weeks to allow recovery and recuperation.

And, while the growth of these tournaments has enriched the players no end, FIFPRO needs to tell the world the PLAYERS can only play X games per calendar year, beginning on a set date before the start of the League and ending on a set date at the end of the season, before the enforced break stipulated.

If memory serves me the Premier League made it clear that any teams that chose to join the Super League would be expelled from the PL, so although in design it was meant to run parallel, in practice it would effectively replace it.

Can’t imagine the Premier League’s position will have changed.

It all happened so quickly. Seemed to take about three days from it first being mentioned to the English clubs pulling out.

I’m struggling to remember the ins and outs.

But if the choice was / is entering some completely stand alone Kerry Packer World Series type thing and all other football is off the table including internationals, I find it very hard to imagine English clubs at least ever getting on board.

It all happened so quickly. Seemed to take about three days from it first being mentioned to the English clubs pulling out.

I’m struggling to remember the ins and outs.

But if the choice was / is entering some completely stand alone Kerry Packer World Series type thing and all other football is off the table including internationals, I find it very hard to imagine English clubs at least ever getting on board.

I think the government’s independent regulator, which has as part of its mandate to protect English football from harm (including dangers of “closed-shop competitions”, which seems a not-so-subtle reference to the ESL), has all but put it out of the question for English clubs, regardless of their potentual desire to join a modified version or a shift in the Premier League’s stance on the matter.

Might as well go full on ESL and actually make it about the money because this constant interfering and whining and manipulating by the PL/FA and UEFA can just fuck right off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.