Heartbreaking moments as a City fan - when your favorite player leaves

Two come to mind.

Kinkladze, my hero and I remember how buzzing I was to watch his debut for Ajax in a friendly on Channel 5(?)

SWP, seeing him leave Macclesfield Town on SSN was horrible to see.

Both at a time where you knew they would not be replaced. Now if a favourite leaves, you’re sad but know someone will come along who will be just as good if not better.

When I was a kid I saw Gary Owen outside Maine rd just before he left, we all heard the rumours. I said to him you're not leaving are you Gary..? He looked at me sympathetically and said noo..
Twat.

David Wagstaffe who was my favourite City player when I started watching in 1963.

There were rumblings from the city Board that some would go through losses incurred.

Every Christmas I was dragged to Shropshire by my parents. I would usually get the bus to Molineaux to watch a Wolves match for a Boxing Day match. In 1964, I arrived at the stadium to see David Wagstaffe introduced as the new Wolves signing.

It was typical of City at the time to sequence transfers to minimise protest as there would be no newspapers after Christmas Eve and little radio coverage.

I am convinced that Wagstaffe was no pushing for a move. He was a far better option than his (ultimate) replacement Tony Coleman. He would have had a load of medals had he stayed.

A forward line of Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, and Wagstaffe would have terrified most defences back then.

Another one here for Bish. Couldn't believe it at the time and was fuckin gutted he went. Still has a great affection for our club and also the Hammers. Top guy.

Another mention for SWP. Coton moving to the rags stung a bit especially with the keepers we had and the league position we were in when he left. Paul Lake's comeback too. Kinkladze was inevitable but we did well in holding on to him for a couple more seasons.

Last edited:
Dave Wagstaffe, no internet in those days we literally turned up at the ground to hear he had been sold. I’m sure it was over the Christmas period.
Yes, sold at Christmas to avoid the opprobrium. I suppose we needed the money, but what a typical City fuck up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.