Helen the bell ringer

She shouldn’t have a statue, but that bell ringing should have carried on after she stopped going. It became apart of Manchester City culture and we should have someone doing it still today at games.

I hate it when things that are part of the culture of a club (or anything else) stop happening. Helen’s bell, navy blue socks, a vocal stand along the side of the pitch…
I swear if heard the bell from time to time over the last 12 years or so maybe it's just my imagination

Recall her going round the social club before and after games collecting or selling tickets, not sure what it was for.
A grand old lady.
I used to be a regular in the social club 1987-91/92 ish.
Helen would always be raising funds for either the hospital or ...also,iirc the half time draw tickets at City..
I'm pretty sure it was Helen who used to shout " Half time draw tickets,get yer half time draw tickets!!" In a loud throaty slightly aggressive mancunian roar.....one of the many sounds of Maine rd ,just like the Bell ringing,which many will remember fondly.
I'd often bump into her in the commercial office before a game,..now im quite proud to say we both raised funds for City/ supporters club back at a time when every pound counted.

I was a member of the L&R branch from 79-84 and yes Anita was indeed a star.
I joined 3 years after you and iirc you would still say hello to various branch members mainly on the Maine rd forecourt when our 52 seater coach turned up for home games...ii imagine u were living in Coventry back in early 80s...which is why you grew to hate it,lol.

Anita hated Coventry, their cup final win didn't go down very well at the time,with the obvious exception of for our own Dave Bennett,who most folk were pleased for..

iirc Anita had no time at all for Micky Gynn,..who ,late 80s ,was always spouting off locally how they were gonna 'do City".

I joined 3 years after you and iirc you would still say hello to various branch members mainly on the Maine rd forecourt when our 52 seater coach turned up for home games...ii imagine u were living in Coventry back in early 80s...which is why you grew to hate it,lol.

Anita hated Coventry, their cup final win didn't go down very well at the time,with the obvious exception of for our own Dave Bennett,who most folk were pleased for..

iirc Anita had no time at all for Micky Gynn,..who ,late 80s ,was always spouting off locally how they were gonna 'do City".
Anita?

I'm sure her grandson brought the bell to the new stadium once and rang it. It was quite spooky hearing it, I'd love it to come back permanently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.