Helen Turner at the 1969 FA Cup Final

last time i seen helen she was in a wheelchair being pushed behind the east stand prob our first year at coms, used to go on the finglands coaches to away games and if you were lucky/unlucky you got the coach with her at the front you couldnt hide when the colletion hat went round she got your money, funny though there were some tough grounds back then but as a kid i allways felt safe knowing she was nearby

marco said:
last time i seen helen she was in a wheelchair being pushed behind the east stand prob our first year at coms, used to go on the finglands coaches to away games and if you were lucky/unlucky you got the coach with her at the front you couldnt hide when the colletion hat went round she got your money, funny though there were some tough grounds back then but as a kid i allways felt safe knowing she was nearby
Yeah. The 5-1 Derby...she hit some rag fucker with her bell. Good times!

was at wembley in 76 stood next to helen after final whistle she gave the bell to Joe Royal i think ( or was it Mike Doyal )and he broke it , allways giving the young ones advise remember her talking to my girlfriend ( now wife ) giving her man advise she was a great lady loved by all blues and fondley remembered. allthough she did throw us of a coach at fc twenty after the game tried to get a lift back to amsterdam i think they were going.

helenthe bellsgrandson said:
As Helens Grandson i have to say she never supported the rags before football she followed rugby St Helens and Leeds she changed to city when someone (i do not know who) took her to game, i hope to get the bell back to the club as soon as they reopen the museum

Your gramma was a huge influence on me and my brother and m8s as well as growing up in chorlton on medlock, as well as my uncles before me.
took us to the training ground to get us off the streets ( well to stop us banging the ball on her wall) took me to Wembley twice, brother had a season ticket with her from about 8 year old till he was 15
Great woman, great fan,
my gran brought me up around the corner from Hellen and we used to get our flowers from her every sunday.
Is the bell at the football museum? , it deserves to be at the club in some kind of museum.
Huge respect for your gramma from me and our family

Chipmeister said:
The only reason I was allowed to go to away games as a youngster was because Helen was running the coaches and my Dad knew everyone would get looked after who went to the games.

How this was managed after some matches was pure luck, I am sure there are some great stories of trying to get back to the coaches and the journeys home.

The only time I remember anyone being left behind on Helen's coach was one lad at West Ham and that was only because the cops insisted that we move off.

The "dream team" on A coach in the 70s was Helen and big Derek Sutton, the Finglands driver who later drove City's team coach. Derek drove like a lunatic at times (no speed limiters in those days) but he was very protective of his coach!

I recall one game at Wolves around '75 or '76 where a Wolves fan gobbed down the coach windscreen from the top deck of a bus on the way to the ground. Derek pulled across to stop the bus pulling away, jumped on the bus, went upstairs and grabbed the culprit, dragged him off the bus and I think it was only Helen and the bus conductor (a big West Indian woman) who stopped him doing some serious damage to the kid. Happy days.

helenthe bellsgrandson said:
As Helens Grandson i have to say she never supported the rags before football she followed rugby St Helens and Leeds she changed to city when someone (i do not know who) took her to game, i hope to get the bell back to the club as soon as they reopen the museum

I had been told she was a red,good to hear she wasn't,great old school Manchester character,reminds me of my Nan RIP.

Towards the end of the clip they show some Leicester fans with some short numpty waving a red and black City scarf down at the front
That may well have been me as we had tickets in the Leicester end and I had that old fashioned red and black scarf, in fact I still have mine and my dad's to this day

My dad's scarf, not him as he had died that year, made it to Wembley for the final and semi final in 2011.

On a side note Helen did mr & mrs squirtyflower's wedding flowers
Blue and white carnations for the fellas

I was at that match with my cousin and my uncle,we drove down in his morriss 1100,seemed to take forever from what I can remember,there's some fans in the clip just before Helen is on, there's a bald headed bloke on the right hand bit of the picture with dark hair at the sides,he is the spitting image of my uncle,funny thing is there was a thread a few months ago,think it was called city fans away days or something,and he's one of the fotos at the stoke fancy dress game with the brother in law and my two nephews,

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Lovely lady, heart in right place, used to look after lads on A coach during 80s 90s.

But a lot of people will probably be shocked to learn she was in actual fact a Man United fan until mid 1960s.

I started going to Maine Road in '67 and she was most certainly a fixture by then.
I never knew she was a rag! Do have any other little gems like that - that will make me question my childhood tolmie? ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.