Hiddink Yes or No

Thaksin regime almost forced Man City boss Hughes to quit

Mark Hughes has revealed that he came "close" to walking away from Manchester City in the summer of 2008, at the tail end of the club's ownership by Thaksin Shinawatra, the former Thai prime minister, reports The Guardian.

"The reality wasn't exactly what was described and sold to me," he said. "In fairness, we were able to go into the transfer market, but there seemed a focus that players had to be sold, and I realised that maybe the resources weren't in place that I thought."

He described the facilities at City's Carrington training ground as "rundown" and "not fit for purpose". There was, he said, "confusion and miscommunication" about players who might be sold, with Stephen Ireland told he would be leaving when Hughes had not approved any decision to sell him.

Thaksin was eventually convicted of fraud in Bangkok and sentenced to three years in prison.

Hughes said that at the time he tried to concentrate solely on managing the football club, hoping his job would not be affected by Thaksin's problems.

"Probably naively, I thought you could separate the two, but obviously you can't. If you are single-minded, you have to work purposefully," he said, "and if you get to a point where it is untenable and not manageable, then you make the decision to walk away. I never got to that point – but I was close."

---------------------
He was about to go when things were not good in the transfer market
Dont blame him,he was being professional , now it is our turn to be as professional.

selim said:

Mark Hughes has revealed that he came "close" to walking away from Manchester City in the summer of 2008, at the tail end of the club's ownership by Thaksin Shinawatra, the former Thai prime minister, reports The Guardian.

"The reality wasn't exactly what was described and sold to me," he said. "In fairness, we were able to go into the transfer market, but there seemed a focus that players had to be sold, and I realised that maybe the resources weren't in place that I thought."

He described the facilities at City's Carrington training ground as "rundown" and "not fit for purpose". There was, he said, "confusion and miscommunication" about players who might be sold, with Stephen Ireland told he would be leaving when Hughes had not approved any decision to sell him.

Thaksin was eventually convicted of fraud in Bangkok and sentenced to three years in prison.

Hughes said that at the time he tried to concentrate solely on managing the football club, hoping his job would not be affected by Thaksin's problems.

"Probably naively, I thought you could separate the two, but obviously you can't. If you are single-minded, you have to work purposefully," he said, "and if you get to a point where it is untenable and not manageable, then you make the decision to walk away. I never got to that point – but I was close."

---------------------
Dont blame him,he was being professional , now it is our turn to be as professional.

Agree and the professional thing would be to get behind our manager and give him time, history has shown us this is the only thing that works.

kiam06 said:
selim said:

---------------------

Agree and the professional thing would be to get behind our manager and give him time, history has shown us this is the only thing that works.

The professional thing is to get a world class proven manager when he becomes avilable specially if your current managers abilities are questionable.

selim said:

Whatever or how bad the situation was at time, but I never heard Sven, Wardle, or even Thaksin bad mouth in specific details on each other back like this. This news piece revealed it all about Hughes's color.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.